Ground Hog's Day Hatch

So I got home today.... and power was on. I found out from the power company that it was off from 1:30pm Thursday to 6:30pm Friday (approx).

When I checked my incubator at about 6:45pm it was sitting pretty. Perfect temp & perfect humidity. It was a warm day today... and with the bator not being opened for turning.... It probably had retained a fair bit of heat.

I turned my eggs and will go into lockdown on Sunday. Thanks for the inspiration RareBreedFancier...... I still have some sort of hope!

If I manage to hatch anything it won't be short of a miracle! And what could be worse... If it does occur I won't be here for the miracle as I'm away at a work conference....

0600 update

21 out, the sicklie one is up and I can't tell which one it was. The 3 remaining eggs are zipping.

So far with a home made incubator and broken thermostat I'm doing pretty good. I went into lock down with 24, 21 hatched 3 still working. The brooder is ready for them.

So I got home today.... and power was on. I found out from the power company that it was off from 1:30pm Thursday to 6:30pm Friday (approx).

When I checked my incubator at about 6:45pm it was sitting pretty. Perfect temp & perfect humidity. It was a warm day today... and with the bator not being opened for turning.... It probably had retained a fair bit of heat.

I turned my eggs and will go into lockdown on Sunday. Thanks for the inspiration RareBreedFancier...... I still have some sort of hope!

If I manage to hatch anything it won't be short of a miracle! And what could be worse... If it does occur I won't be here for the miracle as I'm away at a work conference....

Great news TinaK!
thumbsup.gif
Keep us posted!

Hello to everyone! Wow, there have been trials and tribulations.

Re: power outages. Keep an eye on any high-tech businesses going out of business. Battery Back Ups litter those types of places (they also provide surge protection) and if they are old they might even give them to you for free, happy they don't have pay to have them taken away. Gives you a little margin of time during an outage. I had 3 lined up the night of my outage.

I "helped" my do-nothing pipper. I've "helped" him three times now since late last night. It is acting sort of weak and lame. Darn it I think it's a gold laced polish. Well, I got two buff laced and that is cool.

I "helped" a chick in my broody hatch last year--and I was determined not to do it again. What a disaster that was.

I've got it in my mind that next hatch whatever is left in eggs after the "mass hatch" is going straight into the freezer. Cruel, but I can't do this, I'm so strung out. Maybe there is another way that is less cruel. Let me know.

Anyways, besides that, my 8 chicks adore my Brinsea. Never had a quieter, happier bunch. They loved it instantly. They are so cute!

I have good news and bad news...

Yaay! My quail hatched, but I helped it. it's doing great! It's a golden corurnix, I hope it's female becaue I have but 1 old gold hen left.

I have an EE that looks like it's about to pip to the air bubble, so it'll pip by 2morrow afternoon or Sunday morning. Haha, so cool! I just gotta keep my hands outta the bator and NOT candle anymore~

Bad news is... my black Australorp hen passed away... yeah I'm sad, but I know she had a good 6 years of life. I think she lived this last week only to make it to 6 years old, including the time she was in an egg. RIP my good ol' girl!

And Kefiren, what do you mean by putting your eggs in the freezer!? Just set all your eggs at once and until the mass-hatch is slowing down to like one or 2 chicks hatching take your biddies and put em in ur brooder then leave the 'bator going for another 3 days THEN chuck em. Coz everything is either dead or hatched by day 26 if u do chickens. Unless u had a power-outage or something. Well, whatever you do is your business and your choice. Good luck either way~

Back
Top Bottom