Ground Hog's Day Hatch

My Ground Hog's Day hatch finished with around 67 or so chicks.

These are from my pen with a Lavender Ameraucana cockerel. He has black Ameraucanas, a lavender Ameraucana, and Marans girls with him.

6 Barred Rocks from Cyn (speckledhen)....

The brooders...... 29 New Hampshires, Delawares, and the ones mentioned above...

Last edited:
Congrats on all the cute chickies. I wish I had wonderful pictures to post but I think we are about to throw in the towel and call it a rough learning experience. I have 1 lonely little Delaware chick that hatched Wednesday. Nothing from the other 8 eggs. I candled on day 18 at lockdown and saw movement in almost all of them. Had trouble with the temp dropping a bit and getting the humidity up (have that sorted out now....too late though I guess). I just candled them and no movement anywhere. The air sacs all look intact like they never internally pipped. Humidity issue maybe? So sad. I'm heading on to Craigslist to look for a friend for my lonely little chick. Good luck to those that remain.

Lonely baby and its feather duster mama.

kathyinmo - your babies are all just adorable! I love your comment '67 or so chicks'. How sweet
love.gif

I go into lockdown tomorrow (same day as you Dingo) but after losing power for so long, I don't have much hope. I'm still diligently turning but I haven't candled. I figure candling will be a waste of time because those eggs that were developing had filled the egg so much it was hard to see any movement anyway! Maybe I will candle now I've been thinking about it.....

rsleghornchicki - Hope your babies survive. Hopefully you get a hatch!

Great to see all the hatches winding up! and some lovely photos as well!

well I couldn't resist and I candled... AND I think I still have 3 eggs that are MOVING! After having no power for so long.. I'm amazed! Makes me just that little bit more excited about lockdown tomorrow.

I removed all eggs from the bator that I'm not sure about except for one. So that leaves 4 lonely eggs!
wee.gif

Maybe I will need a brooder after all!

Tina, why did you remove the ones your not sure about, unless you think they are rotten I'd have left them in and just seen how they went.

Good luck with your hatch! :fl

RareBreedFancier - I was 100% sure that the eggs I removed were no good. I was more worried about eggs bursting or doing something odd. I took an egg out the other day & cracked it open... It was full of bacterial stuff and no embryo. I should have photographed it. It was creamy yellowish with darker orange blotches. Gross.
sickbyc.gif
A lot of those I removed looked similar to this one when candled. They have never looked anything like the ones that have development;... nice since day 10 or so.

Thanks for the luck.. I think I need it!

TinaK, so glad for your wigglers, hope you have some success! CoopsGoneCrazy, I'm was about to drive over and drop off a chick, but it does look like you are a bit out of the way. Wanna meet halfway? I should be there by Tuesday. ;)

And then there were 7! One hatched that I hadn't really counted on, None of the EE's that my son put in have shown any sign of life :( We have resisted the urge to open the bator thus far, but are going to have to remove chicks soon so they can eat and drink. I'll give the rest a tap at that point and listen. Here are my babies, pics taken through bator window, but a photogenic crowd none-the-less.

Back
Top Bottom