Groundhog (mildly graphic, no pics)

jessied1227

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
East Brady, PA
Let me just start the thread with this: :thun

Anyway, we had a run-in with a groundhog today. I was outside with the girls, giving them treats, when I heard a sound coming from the hubby's old pick-up. I looked underneath to see the back-end of a groundhog hanging out of the truck from underneath.
Now, this was like, 20 feet from my front door, middle of the morning, so very strange for a groundhog. I yelled my 4 year old into the house and went for the rifle.
By the time I got back outside, it was at the front porch. Now, I've never *seen* a rabid groundhog, but I seriously think this one was. It was acting all crazy, staggering around, the dogs were going NUTS.
I fired a shot a missed (of course) and it just stood there. Didn't jump or run, so I fired a second shot and sent it to groundhog heaven.
We burned the carcass, cleaned everything up real good, burned the ground where I shot it.
I'm worried about the chickens. Can chickens get rabies from being exposed to any scat or anything like that?
Thanks-
Jess

LMAO - it would have been a mercy killing if I had shot the truck. It has 271,000 miles on it and has no reverse. Still runs good, just not road legal, and you have to think where you park it so you can turn around. It's our farm truck.
The hubby has Decon in the truck he says to keep the mice out. I wonder if it was trying to get to the Decon?

Jess

I'm betting it was rabid to have such unusual behavior in daylight.

We had a rabid racoon come through the yard many years ago when we first moved in here - it was very much like you say - staggering around, in broad daylight. It climbed up a tree and then fell out of the tree. We're certain it was rabid.

My understanding is that rabies is spread by saliva or body fluid/blood contact. Did any of your dogs get close enough to have saliva or blood contact?

I don't know if it can be spread through feces...call your local health department if you can't get a good answer.

Susan

The dogs are both up to date on the vaccine, so I'm not terribly concerned about the dogs. They were pretty quick to vacate the area when they saw the rifle. One glance at me with the 30.06 and they were heading the other way.
roll.png

We had no idea we even had a groundhog so close in. We looked for the hole and found it around behind one of the woodpiles, and I know the girls go back in there to scratch.

I'll have to call the game commission in the AM.
*sigh*
Jess

Last edited:
Too bad you burned it so quickly. Now you will never know for sure it was rabies. Might have gotten into antifreeze from the " old truck" and was poisoned. Im sure...if I was faced with that situation, I woul dhave thrown it on the burn pile right away as well...especially since you have small kids around. how scarey! Hope everyone is ok, and I dont think they can get rabies from the poo...but better safe than sorry, call the game comission in the am.

Tis bodily fluids, yes! But I'm fairly certain that chickens are not a host species--insects, mammals and fish....but just to be certain, I would bleach all around too, in case it was carrying other pathogens, and keep the area where it was quarantined for a little while. Bleach and sunlight destroy viruses.

Gosh--that's really one of my worst nightmares--to find a rabid animal near my herd--except in my nightmares, I can never find the key to unlock my rifle! Stupid locks.

Rabid groundhogs are known in the PA/MD area, so it's quite possible. Sounds like you to perfectly reasonable actions and precautions.

Back
Top Bottom