Groundhog...

BarefootMom

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Half Way, Missouri
They are kinda cute creatures until they are living under your chicken coop and come out to knock over the little ducklings feeder to eat all the food or get into the coop and eat layer pellets.

267868_2172538682358_1513518073_2291562_3949953_n.jpg

we put a live trap out last night and baited ti with some chicken feed...now what to do with him. Later I am going to take him up to the big hayfield and let him go. Hopefully he doesn't come back.

We shoot groundhogs if they're in our yard. They can really make a mess with all their digging. Haven't seen any this year.....

Quote:
I am all for shooting animals that are predators, but these creatures usually live under buildings. They are vegetarians and not a danger to my chickens that way. Moles are the only thing that makes a mess in our years with their digging. Now if it was a mole- then yes we would shoot it. But we don't see too many groundhogs and I would rather take it somewhere where it could be happy.

I think this is the one that used to live out under our calf shed. It would eat feed out of the creep feeder- but we don't have calves out there this spring, so it got hungry. I don't blame it I would move for more food too. This one probably weighs a good 25lbs or more.
smile.png
IT is HUGE!

Wow I hv never seen a monster one like that......those and the moles wreak havoc on my garden and flowers but we can't poison for all the other animals .... They are a nuisance but we never see them unless the mini schnauzer catches one!!

I have gardens, groundhogs besides digging holes that other predators can use to get to your chickens are a royal pain, they are dispatched on sight here.

I have already nailed one this season, and hopefully that will be it but the girls let me know when one is around.

Ok... someone familiar with these lovely creatures... would it be willing to dig into the run to get the chicken food? I have something that is burrowing in. I could see them similar to a large mole hole, but moles eat grubs and bugs and would not have a prupose for deliberately going in the run. Anything else that burrows? I know we have the woodchcuks because I have seen them around.

find its den push the trap up to the den put a tarp over the trap as it runs into the trap it seems like it is still in its tunnel . If this one has young and you take it away from its young how do ya reckon they will fare ? Relocation is wrong on so many levels. I have seen too many horses damaged because of these rodents. Folks here eat them, as you said they are vegetarians/browsers just like rabbits they are delicious LOL

I have a rather large fellow) about 3 feet tall when he stands on his hind legs) who is digging under my garden shed.. and he is eating everything in the garden....I don't have the heart to trap or shoot him... he was here long before me.....but I am going to try thr dog poop... I have lots of dog poop....wonder if chicken poop would work... I have even more of that
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom