Growing fodder for chickens

as in, do they grow faster together? or are they more complete nutritionally? They do grow well together. The mix is mostly based on what I could find locally at a reasonable price, and still give them a nice variety of seeds. I like that it includes a legume as well as grains. It was less a scientific compilation of feeds, and more a concern that they not be getting only one variety. I feel like if they're getting several different varieties of both legumes and grasses they're likely to be getting a more balanced set of nutrients. Fodder, for me, is primarily something I give to fill in gaps in nutrition in birds that have limited acess to good free range. Chicks in the brooder, meat birds confined to tractors. So I want to be sure that they get some variety in their diet. And of course, the parrots get sprouts and/or fodder which they enjoy, and for them a variety of foods is key, partially to prevent boredom.

Thanks BlueMouse. I think what I was trying to ask is if the benefit each other in the growing process. Kind of like planting marigolds on the borders of your vegetable plots, pumpkins in with corn, that kind of thing.

I liked your answer however. I try to provide a variety as well. I'm not always consistent and I know I need to work on that but I try and I need to make sure I remember to do it every day.

Oh, no, I don't think they benefit each other in the growing process like that! It would sure be nice if they did. I'm all about beneficial companion planting in my gardens.... Reminds me. I've got to get a flat of marigolds.

question how do I increase the yield from the I'm getting 4 lbs. per 1 lb. of barley mixed with field peas. anyway I can increase yield. do I need to let it grow longer than 7 days or soak longer ( I soak about 14-18 hrs.) any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I soak my seeds for 24 hrs. Then I put them in the shed, where the light comes threw. I saw in 1 day roots developed, in 2 days it started to inter twine and I'm on day 3 of setting them in the shed, but I have seen little twigs of green :)

Hey folks. I've got a 4x4 ebb & flow table and would like to give it a go. My question is this, the bottom of the table has 1/2" channels which are sloped to allow drainage...how deep should I lay the seeds? I'm thinking I can place about 25lbs. Of seed in the table....top watering the entire bed 2x a day with it draining to a tank....anyone have experience with this? If so, wouldya shed a little light please?

Back
Top Bottom