Growing fodder for chickens

I will have to look-up the Ebb & Flow table....haven't heard of it......but my experience growing fodder in smaller containers is that a single (or near as you can get to that) layer of seed works the best. You have better circulation and less chance of mold.

@notafarm: I really doubt with that I'll be able to run a single layer of seed on that table, due to the drainage channels. I've only got limited experience with the small 13x9 trays so it seems like I would get a nice even balance of sprouts using that method. thanks!

If you have an ebb and flow table, you should be able to switch out table for bins. It is the concept all these commercial ones seem to follow. Resevoir with pump, as many bins, trays, tables, objects to hold seeds as you wish, an inlet for water to come in, with an overflow to control flooding, and a timer. Then a drain and it is all but automatic.

Marijuana farmers have been doing it for years.

Ok, I've tried this 2-3 times. Everything goes fine the first 2-3 days then it suddenly molds up. I've tried soaking with and without bleach. What can I do to prevent this?

I've grown tomatoes & peppers using the system for a long time, but there is a soilless medium in the bed....I'm not so sure it would work properly with bare seed.

Back
Top Bottom