Growing fodder for chickens

Fill your container with seed. A half inch deep evenly spread across the bottom. Now measure that amount, that's how much you need to soak every night. After you soak for 24 hours, rinse it well and put it in your container. That's day 1. Every 12 hours, rinse it really well, use fresh water, don't pump that nasty stuff back through unless you like dealing with mold.

Fill your container with seed. A half inch deep evenly spread across the bottom. Now measure that amount, that's how much you need to soak every night. After you soak for 24 hours, rinse it well and put it in your container. That's day 1. Every 12 hours, rinse it really well, use fresh water, don't pump that nasty stuff back through unless you like dealing with mold.
OK did two cause I have about40 chickens. I might need bigger trays. Lol

"The feeding value of the shoot/seed/root mixture may not be better than the initial barley seeds themselves. Fazaeli et al. (2012) found that true protein decreased, and the non-fiber carbohydrate, Metabolic Energy, and in-vitro gas production decreased in sprouted barley compared with the raw seed, and there were losses in DM yield."

Well. nerd0, I don't see absolute proof here, not that it matters to people with small flocks. I'm gonna keep experimenting with sprouts and fodder, just because I saw how much my girls enjoyed it. It is not like I am going to feed them an exclusive diet of it. I will use whatever is the most available to me, also. That won't be barley, then. Looks like it will be might be oats and wheat, unless I want to travel a ways. That's not likely, due to the weather and my schedule. If fodder doesn't work out, I will just give the seeds a good soaking and feed them to them, anyway. They'll also continue to get two feedings a day of fermented layer pellets. I just got back into making that for them, again, (not using anything as a "starter") and it is working out well. They eat it much faster so I think they enjoy it better than when I just "moisten" it before feeding it to them.

I would guess right now that a pound of seed per twenty chickens would be a proper amount of nutrition. I'm still figuring things out too though. I have about sixty five and two pounds of seed is not enough. I think three pounds will do it though.

I would guess right now that a pound of seed per twenty chickens would be a proper amount of nutrition. I'm still figuring things out too though. I have about sixty five and two pounds of seed is not enough. I think three pounds will do it though.
how do you calculate the pounds. Before or after it's in folders

In my experience, one pound of dry seed - soaked for 4 hours and left (drained) in bucket for a day and a half - then spread 1/4 inch thick in a 10 X 20 tray produces 8 pounds of fodder.

I know many people do put the seeds deeper (1/2 inch or so), but 1/4 inch works better for me.

Once you gt started, you will find what works best for you.

Have fun!

Last edited:
would white millet work? I happen to have all kinds of it around here at the house. I have nothing to do with it this would be great and then if it goes well I could get wheat after the millet was gone?????

Question: Besides calcium, do you feed your chicken only growing fodder? If not, what is the mass ratio between growing fodder and commercial chicken feed? Do your chicken lay well?

Back
Top Bottom