Growing fodder for chickens

Wanted to share my uber-simple kitchen system for my tiny flock of six chix...there are three trays like this and they get half a tray per day. Kept right by the sink...one cup of soaked grains to each tray and rinse twice a day. Oh, and it is barley...
Nice set-up!

I was reading an article somewhere that used 2/3 cup winter wheat in a pint jar and just sprouted them. Does this sound like an effective way to feed 6 chickens? What other grains would be good, or even a mix? I've also heard that chickens only need 1/3 pound of feed a day each, with equal portions grain, protein, and minerals. Does this sound right?

So the fodder is a supplement, along with "salad bars" for feed. They love it and I am sure it reduces my feed bills. Nonetheless they each get 1/3-1/2 cup fermented feed and also some fermented alfalfa in the morning. I feed the fodder in the evening so their crops are full before bed.

Check protein levels in feed....the protein comes from grain and possibly fish meal etc. The minerals in the feed are balanced. So most folks mainly use fodder to supplement and it is a good source of fresh greens daily, and I scatter it around their yard so they are foraging for it! :)

I am in Virginia and I have been doing the foddering for about 2 months now. The results have been great and the chickens love it. Right now I do it out on my deck but plan to move it inside this fall. I use whole grain wheat. Soak it for 12 to 18 hours and then put it in buckets and seed trays about 1/2 inch thick. Start to finish is 7 days. I make enough for a week at a time so they never run out. I am going to try and get some barley also. I believe the way they go after it when I give them the pieces it must be good.

I current have 10 hens and one rooster in one coop and run. Then I have a second coop and run with two smaller hens and planning to put another 7 or 8 in with them. I like to keep the latger chickens separate from the bigger ones.

Lovely! how much are you feeding them in fodder? I have to say I tried wheat but I really like the barley better, it seems to grow faster (just my opinion).

Just so you know I can soak barley for eight hours and it sprouts great. Overnight works too.

Also wheat and barley costs per 50# bag vary a great deal across the country...

I usually get them two squares out of a garden plant tray. The squares are about 2 pounds each I think but that is just a guess. Next time I am going to try a little Barley also. It seems like maybe they may like a choice. Not sure if they like the sprouts more than the wheat grass. They go for seeds first.

Back
Top Bottom