Growth on earlobe and elsewhere - help!

HogFoo

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Concord, Massachusetts
One of our 23wk old buff orpingtons has an odd growth on her left earlobe. It's grey with black flecks on it. There are also black flecks on her comb and wattle on the same side. Oddly, the right side seems normal. I've attached pictures below of both sides for comparison. Except for the growth(s) she seems totally fine and behaves normally. Please help - what's going on with our chook? Is this something serious or normal chicken stuff?

IMG_1562.jpeg
IMG_1562.jpeg

IMG_1563.jpeg

IMG_1564.jpeg
IMG_1562.jpeg IMG_1563.jpeg IMG_1564.jpeg

This is our first flock so all new to us. Thanks!

One of our 23wk old buff orpingtons has an odd growth on her left earlobe. It's grey with black flecks on it. There are also black flecks on her comb and wattle on the same side. Oddly, the right side seems normal. I've attached pictures below of both sides for comparison. Except for the growth(s) she seems totally fine and behaves normally. Please help - what's going on with our chook? Is this something serious or normal chicken stuff?

View attachment 2339597View attachment 2339597
View attachment 2339598
View attachment 2339599View attachment 2339597View attachment 2339598View attachment 2339599

This is our first flock so all new to us. Thanks!
What other types of birds do you have in your flock with this beauty? The buff Orpingtons are usually a mellow breed and although food greedy can get bullied by the other girls. I know my sweet Swedish Flower hens even bulky my calmer flock loving Black: Lavender Orpingtons who are very dedicated members of my nine member flock. They do not like to be separated from the flock at all an have a cow if they are and really throw fits and will sulk, stop eating and drinking even which is odd behavior for an Orpington for sure. I’m just curious if you have any other breeds in your flock. They may have injured your baby but who knows a good molt may help???

What other types of birds do you have in your flock with this beauty? The buff Orpingtons are usually a mellow breed and although food greedy can get bullied by the other girls. I know my sweet Swedish Flower hens even bulky my calmer flock loving Black: Lavender Orpingtons who are very dedicated members of my nine member flock. They do not like to be separated from the flock at all an have a cow if they are and really throw fits and will sulk, stop eating and drinking even which is odd behavior for an Orpington for sure. I’m just curious if you have any other breeds in your flock. They may have injured your baby but who knows a good molt may help???
I have black australorps and dominiques. Everyone seems to get along pretty well with minimal squabbling. Funniest thing is that one of our other orpington's is top hen and we call her Boss Orpington so it's not a breed thing generally in our flock. That said, I'm not good at figuring out pecking order yet since they mostly seem to be around the same level socially except for an occasional squawk here or there. I don't see any of the really distinct stuff I read about in other posts.

I have black australorps and dominiques. Everyone seems to get along pretty well with minimal squabbling. Funniest thing is that one of our other orpington's is top hen and we call her Boss Orpington so it's not a breed thing generally in our flock. That said, I'm not good at figuring out pecking order yet since they mostly seem to be around the same level socially except for an occasional squawk here or there. I don't see any of the really distinct stuff I read about in other posts.
I understand what you mean. If my flock was just made up of my Orpingtons and my Legbars I don’t believe that I would have any real squabbles at all unless it was over a big fight! Like ooh I’ve got the first worm of the day and you didn’t nanny nanny boo boo! Our Swedish Flower Hens were the most out going to the humans when we were raising the chicks in the house so they were our favorites starting out but over time I have come to not be as happy with one of our Flower Hens because she has turned really mean actually. I’m hoping she becomes sweet again after she starts to lay.

Back
Top Bottom