Growth on hen's head

bubbleberry

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2013
Hi,

We have just collected some hens from a charity. They were caged and are in pretty shoddy condition. This one has a growth on her head and just want to get some opinions.

Thanks šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• 20231105_155917.jpg
    20231105_155917.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Oh bless you; I've never seen a hen so pale! Lucky girl to get another chance with you.

Is that lump hard/retains its shape under gentle pressure, or squishy and soft?

Oh bless you; I've never seen a hen so pale! Lucky girl to get another chance with you.

Is that lump hard/retains its shape under gentle pressure, or squishy and soft?
Yes it's very sad šŸ˜”, they look like ghosts and they all have deformed beaks. Super excited to see them all round and feathered up in the coming months! I haven't felt it yet but I will do in the morning once she's got through the first night and will report back!

What is your location? Can you get some Poultry Cell or similar chicken vitamins? Dosage is 2 ml daily. I would check for mites and lice. Consider worming with Valbazen (albendazole) 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10 days. She is molting, so when her feathers grow back she may get her red comb back. Some scrambled egg could give her some needed extra protein, along with a good balanced chicken feed. The growth on her face looks like scarring from an injury or peck. Good luck with the chickens, and so nice that you took them to give them a better life.

What is your location? Can you get some Poultry Cell or similar chicken vitamins? Dosage is 2 ml daily. I would check for mites and lice. Consider worming with Valbazen (albendazole) 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10 days. She is molting, so when her feathers grow back she may get her red comb back. Some scrambled egg could give her some needed extra protein, along with a good balanced chicken feed. The growth on her face looks like scarring from an injury or peck. Good luck with the chickens, and so nice that you took them to give them a better life.
Thank you for your reply. I'm in the UK and we have a plan in place for the mites and worming and I plan on feeding them some scrambled eggs tomorrow šŸ˜‹ I hadn't thought about a supplement, I will look at Poultry Cell as my current birds are also going through a molt and look in need of a pick-me-up! I hope the lump is scar tissue and nothing sinister, this one is the smallest and is timid so it wouldn't suprise me if she has had a rough time.

Back
Top Bottom