Grrrrr, I am so mad, can I vent?

A.T. Hagan :

Get you a big old broom and take it to him. Every time he slows down give him a good swat with the bushy end. Don't let him stop, don't let him rest, just keep making him move. Do this every time you see him until he avoids you when ever you approach. MOST of the time this is enough. There are the occasional birds that won't learn though. Those you eat.

Good idea... I had a bully hen that wanted to flog me and I took the broom and also there were times I had a water hose in my hand and I squirted her. She was brutally picking on other birds and I would surprise her with a good shot of water when she wasn't expecting it.​

I've only ever had one roo that was a bit nasty (mainly to hubby, not to me). Hubby carried him around under his arm every morning for a week when he came out from the coop. It worked for him.

My Brahma boys are huge softies and my NN roo (Mort) is the sweetest ever. They all tolerate each other, too.

If you have a nasty one you may have to cull him if simple measures don't work.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. Mom went out to get eggs. A roo attaked her she swung the bucket of eggs at him broke everyone, He was on the menu fir dinner I think:gig

Quote:
Don't apologize for showing him who is boss.... that IS the right thing to do... there are always those who won't agree or think you are being too harsh... and you don't have to cause harm to show who is boss... i think you are on the right track with finding a way to be top chicken
wink.png

Ours are not laying either.......we got them too late in the season! we have read that we won't get anything until the days start to lengthen again...
good luck

I've got a BEAUTIFUL wheaten Marans rooster, Henry, who has just reached maturity within the last month. He's very funny right now. He will stand sideways and stomp his feet at me. I just talk to him and he settles down, but I'm waiting for the "attack". I am hoping he's smart enought not to attack the "food lady"--that's me
lol.png
but I'm always keeping my eye on him......

I've got a smaller Cream Brabanter rooster, Red. He's a sweetheart, but sometimes he has to show that he is a "he-man" and he makes this really lame attempt at kicking me or pecking me. It's really funny because he does it sooo gently.....cracks me up. I just scoop him up and rub the back of his head (which he loves). His eyes close and he is in heaven when I do that. Wait a minute here.....I think he's tricking me into picking him up!
lol.png

Oh well! Just keep you eye on those roos all the time.

Quote:
Ooops, always make sure the treat is after the good behavior in your arms! dont give him a treat for taking a run at you! Once he gives in, and isnt struggling, and lets you carry him for a bit, then go get the treat, with him in your arms, and then put him down and offer the treat to him and the girls together. I use a piece of bread, they cant resist that, or giving pieces to thier girls!

never treat while he is being aggressive! Sorry, I didnt mean to convey that idea!

I think it also helps that I free range everyone, and my roos dont get penned up enough to set up territories. So I am never entering thier space and making them feel defensive.... Penned roosters get a different mind set sometimes.

Either way, good luck with him!

What has happened to me, happens often I think, is they surprise you and your reaction is instant. May depend on what is within reach. I do think, when you can get hold of them, that the football carry really helps put them in their place. Also helps tame hens, makes them less frightened and more approachable. Yes, there will be roos who respond to nothing, of course. I have "hit" them, too -- it's easy enough to do this without causing pain. Picked up a few with my foot and tossed them a few feet, or pushed them off a hen, then when I could, did the football thing. Or just chase them or swing a stick in their direction. All it has taken with the two I have now is a look in the eye and maybe a movement in their direction -- good roos!

Back
Top Bottom