GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

On the college issue- I teach at a state school. Tuition alone is around $4000 and is going up next year. All students have to take a set core curriculum. If money is tight (and when is it not) it only makes sense to do your gen ed classes at a community college near you. Our state at least has a deal that the community college classes have to transfer to any state school and count for the equivalent classes. It saves TONS of money if you can put up with the kid living at home for two more years.

I agree with the poster who said that college is a luxury, not a right. So many of my students are being supported my mommy and daddy and just don't care about their classes. I have a kid who has failed my class THREE TIMES, not because he can't do the work, but because he doesn't come to class, doesn't turn in assignments and doesn't do his lab hours. He knows the material. His test scores are always A's. He would just rather play than do his homework. GRRRRRR!!!! I would much rather have a student that either has come back to school after being out in the real world or is having to pay their own way. They are much more dedicated to their schoolwork.

So with your 18 year old princess, can you go on strike? Can you just refuse to do her laundry, cook for her, run her on errands and all the other things you do as mom? It's hard to be queen when you have no minions.
big_smile.png

The cost of education is expensive, but not unattainable. If she refuses to submit for scholarships, then she must not want to attend college. Personally, I see no reason a parent should fork out educational expenses for someone unwilling to participate. I put myself through 9 years of college by working junk jobs, teaching, borrowing (not my wisest decission), eating PBJ and drinking cheap beer, and held a 3.9GPA. It can be done!
Like your daughter I knew everything when I left home at 16 (you could do that then), dropped out of school, though life would just happen. I finally figured somethings out after my adopted parents passed away, so I went back got my GED, and went back to school. Some of us have to learn the hard way, doesn't make us bad people, maybe a little stubborn, but most of us eventually figure it out and become assets to society, I am sure your daughter will to. Just give her the room to fail and realize it is not your fault.

Edited to say I was 26 when I finally went back to school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I'll Trade you for a PMS prone, fully hormonal, lazy as heck 15 year old girl with a HUGE self esteem issue......
sad.png

If we live thru their teen years with no permanent brain damage... we dun good!
wink.png

I can still remember the very first (and last) time I tried "Well so-and-so's mom lets her do (insert activity here)" My mom's reply was "I don't care even a little bit what her mom lets her do."

Can't really argue with "I don't care," can you? LOL. I never tried that again.

My parents didn't make me get a job when I was in high school (had enough trouble keeping up as it was) but as soon as I graduated I moved away and got a job within weeks. I was a brat-face sometimes, but I never expected my parents to %100 pay for college. They do help, but only because I can't get any help paying for college because THEY make too much. Ha.

Anyway, I have no words of wisdom, since I'm 22 and have no kids.
tongue.png

hugs.gif
awe..thanks everyone.. ya'll are making me feel at least a LITTLE normal for feeling this way LOL!

hennypenny - yep - same way here and I still dont understand why OUR income has any play in HER educational funding. Its not her money, its ours. But Big Brother says we must support her until she's 24
hu.gif
in order for her to go to college - ANY college, even community. Crazy... at 24 I had a 3 year old for crying out loud and married for nearly 5 years, working full time for the gov't! Ugh... she doesnt qualify for any loans either- just the Stafford $5500 loan.
hmm.png
I feel for ya kiddo...

debiraymond - wanna swap for a few days honey? LOL
tongue.png

Momma Cluck - *hands you Midol for yours* NO..GOD NO! ROFL! I hate that time too - as I never had to deal with PMS myself, so... I run the other way and tell my own daughter "go away if you're witchy...oh.. and take 2 of these - dont come out until you're in a better mood"
lau.gif

Cluck4me:
hugs.gif
to you and I too am praying she see's the light one day (although I must admit, it may be from me thwacking her upside the head that the light doth cometh early)
tongue2.gif
*snickering*
big_smile.png

Harlan: I hope it turns out that way...and I agree 100%.

Connie and Renee: Thanks
hugs.gif
to you both

Sorry HennysMom!! I didn't read carefully enough..I thought you had a son!
Regardless - send her to "Camp Sandy" for a week of cleaning horse corrals, scrapping chicken poopies off of the nesting box and being chased by my ornery killer pig at feeding time. School might look like more of a privilege after her visit...hehe, I'm evil sometimes ~
tongue2.gif

when my DD would say well so and so's mother lets her do it. I would pick up the phone and say ....really well I think I'll just have a talk with that woman and then she would beg me to put the phone down.

Back
Top Bottom