Ariell

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2017
My favorite BC Miran was murdered yesterday. She was about 4 months old
I assumed it was a predator but after looking at it it doesn't look like anything ate much of her maybe just the breast. She was literally just ripped apart from her stomach and her body was left intact. Feathers everywhere that still had bloody flesh and skin attached to them in a pile with her intestines in the middle. And her body was about three feet away. Heart still inside and fully intact. Her neck and head were untouched.
Something with claws or crazy talons sliced her right down the middle.

Everyone but my two EE roosters were hiding in the coop.

Never had a problem with predators and this happened in broad daylight.

Saw a small to
Medium sized hawk a couple
Weeks ago but she didn't
Seem interested in the coops. And wouldn't She have carried her off?
Maybe she was too heavy? Or maybe the roosters went after the hawk?

No coyotes in our area.

She was the smallest and kind of the outcast. Do you think it's possible the roosters might've killed her? I read some things that said they sometimes kill the weaker ones. But they had no blood on their beaks or
Claws

Sounds like dog attack to me...the tearing or ripping comes from the shaking motion and dogs usually don't kill for food unless extremely hungry, and in that case more would've been consumed. If it were a coon more would've been dead and if any other predator there would've been much more consumed. Hawks didn't do this for sure. I'd be on the lookout for either a neighbor's dog or a stray...but a dog none the less with a strong prey drive.
So sorry for your loss, and hope ya get that rascal that did it....:hugs

I’m so sorry you lost your favorite pullet :hugs, I don’t think the roosters did that. I agree with the poster above. An electric fence would be an option for keeping dogs out.

Thats awful, it must have been horrible to see. I am always worried about dogs getting into our garden, its fenced all the way around but there are a few gaps under the hedges which I am going to block off now. I also today doubled up the wire fence around the run after reading that foxes can bite through fencing

I don't think it was a dog because the feathers were plucked out like individual feathers pulled out with clumps of flesh on them

My favorite BC Miran was murdered yesterday. She was about 4 months old
I assumed it was a predator but after looking at it it doesn't look like anything ate much of her maybe just the breast. She was literally just ripped apart from her stomach and her body was left intact. Feathers everywhere that still had bloody flesh and skin attached to them in a pile with her intestines in the middle. And her body was about three feet away. Heart still inside and fully intact. Her neck and head were untouched.
Something with claws or crazy talons sliced her right down the middle.

Everyone but my two EE roosters were hiding in the coop.

Never had a problem with predators and this happened in broad daylight.

Saw a small to
Medium sized hawk a couple
Weeks ago but she didn't
Seem interested in the coops. And wouldn't She have carried her off?
Maybe she was too heavy? Or maybe the roosters went after the hawk?

No coyotes in our area.

She was the smallest and kind of the outcast. Do you think it's possible the roosters might've killed her? I read some things that said they sometimes kill the weaker ones. But they had no blood on their beaks or
Claws

I would also say a dog.

Coopers hawk. They will target a small pullet if it is running loose. They don't eat all of it in one sitting. Probably would come back which I have found to be useful information.

A wild animal would have eaten it and taken it off. A dog is possible but they don't usually eat it. Plucking the feathers... eating the guts, leaving the intestines.... You wouldn't have a picture would you?

Back
Top Bottom