Guaranteed pullets my butt!

Dec 15, 2017
Vallejo
So out of my 6 chicks, 2 are definitely roosters. And now I’m iffy about my Easter Egger “pullet” what do u think? She’s 9 weeks!

Attachments

• 1DD2E121-4399-4BFB-B289-0A6601DA9D38.jpeg
    1DD2E121-4399-4BFB-B289-0A6601DA9D38.jpeg
    614.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
No one can guarantee pullets unless they are sex linked chicks. There is always a 10% chance that a chick is a cockerel. Statistically it would not be too terribly unusual to have 2 cockerels out of 6 chicks.

The doctor guaranteed my mother-in-law that her 8th baby would finally be the girl she wanted. It was another boy.

As to your Easter Egger, depending on its age it could go either way.

How old is the chick?
Also where you got them from can make quite a difference to how accurate the sex is. Most hatcheries emply professional vent sexers to sort them. Some private "breeders" (the less scrupulous ones) will claim to sex them when they really have no idea.
Tractor supply is notorious for getting not only sexes but breeds of chicks mixed up due to their system where chicks can easily be picked up and then put back into the wrong bins.

It may just be the moment that you took the photo that chick was blinking or something but to me it does not look very healthy.

Tractor supply is notorious for getting not only sexes but breeds of chicks mixed up due to their system where chicks can easily be picked up and then put back into the wrong bins.
I was at tractor supply today and they had a bin with signs for blk Australorps and RIR, but had 4 breeds in the bin.
BTW, I have 2 black Australorp "guaranteed pullet" cockerels from TSC. Good Luck with yours.

So out of my 6 chicks, 2 are definitely roosters. And now I’m iffy about my Easter Egger “pullet” what do u think? She’s 9 weeks!
I'm only a beginner here but I bought some 6-week old unsexed pullets (supposedly barred rocks) and I can already tell, at least I think so, that one is definitely a rooster. He has this whisp of hair that sticks up on his head like a blue jay, is bolder than the other two, and they seem to follow him. But, now he and one of the girls are doing the dominancy thing. Flying at each other in a flurry, bumping chests, pecking etc. Are yours displaying such behavior? I'm told that you can see the difference in the sex early on if you look for those "assertive" behaviors. Oh, the two older hens are 4 months old, they treat him different than the other two pullets, if that helps? Good luck, it's a pretty bird no matter what!

Back
Top Bottom