lara_k

In the Brooder
May 15, 2018
Hi all!

After nearly losing one of my pet ducks to a hawk the other day, I am strongly considering getting a goose to help ward off predators/raise the alarm (my Appleyard drake is clearly not intimidating enough). They free range during the day and I work from home, so I'd like something that could notify of a threat in the very least. I would like something that is assertive and protective enough, without being a total menace (i.e. I would rather it didn't bully the ducks...or myself, but I do want it to be effective). I live in Southern Ontario, so in addition to birds of prey, I contend with weasels, skunks, raccoons, foxes and coyotes (I obviously don't expect a goose to take on a coyote---I keep my flock safely confined at night---I'm really expecting that the goose will just have to ward off the occasional Coopers or Sharpie ). I have a couple of questions: 1. Breed suggestions? Are Chinese and Africans too much goose for my purposes, or just right? 2. How many? I've read accounts that suggest that only getting a single goose is the best way to ensure that they are "invested" in the well-being of your your flock. Other accounts suggest that it's cruel to deprive them of their own kind.
Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hi all!

After nearly losing one of my pet ducks to a hawk the other day, I am strongly considering getting a goose to help ward off predators/raise the alarm (my Appleyard drake is clearly not intimidating enough). They free range during the day and I work from home, so I'd like something that could notify of a threat in the very least. I would like something that is assertive and protective enough, without being a total menace (i.e. I would rather it didn't bully the ducks...or myself, but I do want it to be effective). I live in Southern Ontario, so in addition to birds of prey, I contend with weasels, skunks, raccoons, foxes and coyotes (I obviously don't expect a goose to take on a coyote---I keep my flock safely confined at night---I'm really expecting that the goose will just have to ward off the occasional Coopers or Sharpie ). I have a few questions: 1. Breed suggestions? Are Chinese and Africans too much goose for my purposes, or just right? 2. How many? I've read accounts that suggest that only getting a single goose is the best way to ensure that they are "invested" in the well-being of your your flock. Other accounts suggest that it's cruel to deprive them of their own kind. 3. Male(s) or female(s)?
Hi all!

After nearly losing one of my pet ducks to a hawk the other day, I am strongly considering getting a goose to help ward off predators/raise the alarm (my Appleyard drake is clearly not intimidating enough). They free range during the day and I work from home, so I'd like something that could notify of a threat in the very least. I would like something that is assertive and protective enough, without being a total menace (i.e. I would rather it didn't bully the ducks...or myself, but I do want it to be effective). I live in Southern Ontario, so in addition to birds of prey, I contend with weasels, skunks, raccoons, foxes and coyotes (I obviously don't expect a goose to take on a coyote---I keep my flock safely confined at night---I'm really expecting that the goose will just have to ward off the occasional Coopers or Sharpie ). I have a couple of questions: 1. Breed suggestions? Are Chinese and Africans too much goose for my purposes, or just right? 2. How many? I've read accounts that suggest that only getting a single goose is the best way to ensure that they are "invested" in the well-being of your your flock. Other accounts suggest that it's cruel to deprive them of their own kind.

We have Chinese and they do absolutely nothing as far as protecting or alarming.

A goose really isn't for protection. They're more of an alarm system. have 2 Toulouse geese and they do nothing as far as protection goes. I keep them in a large outdoor enclosure with my chickens. They'll sound the alarm by screaming their heads off if they see/hear something they don't like, be it an actual threat, or just one of our pet dogs, etc. Geese can attack other animals, yes. But will they if it's a threat? Probably not. They would prefer to run away than fight. Mine will flog the cats or dogs if they get close enough. Geese are no match for any predator really. Hawks, weasels, coyotes, foxes, etc...they'll still attack geese. They probably wouldn't deter anything. Plus you would need to get at least 2 geese, as they need to have a goose friend too.

Another thing to note is that ganders tend to get aggressive certain times of the year - spring especially. Mine has attacked me quite a few times due to his hormones acting up. But as long as you know how to stop them from doing that, it's honestly not a big issue. My female is as sweet and friendly as can be. She's never attacked me (though she'll give the dogs a nip if they're near her). They might bully your ducks, but it just depends on the individual goose; they're all different.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with things.

Hi everyone, thanks for your thoughts! I guess that sounding an alarm would suffice, although I suppose I was hoping that the larger size the goose relative to the ducks would help to dissuade daytime predators like the raptors (I've really only had this one incident with the hawk...other than that, nada).

Back
Top Bottom