Guard Goose...to coddle or not to coddle? That is my question.

EggsOnOrcas

Chirping
Apr 30, 2018
We just got a guard goose! He's a 2-day-old Roman Tufted from Metzger Farms. I've heard/read several people talking about bonding with their young geese. But this article (How to Guard Your Backyard Flock with Domestic Geese Breeds) from the Countryside network suggests otherwise.

"Because geese operate on a hierarchical system it is important that farmers and flock owners establish themselves as the dominant figure early. It is crucial the goose is not hand-fed, held or coddled as these actions deteriorate the boundary between human and goose. The goose will often become too comfortable with the flock owner, lose respect and ultimately see the individual as a mere flockmate. The adult goose may try to dominate through aggressive actions such as hissing, biting or displaying a snaking motion of the neck."

So...to bond or not to bond? To coddle or not to coddle? Thoughts?

I coddled the heck out of my goose when she was a baby and she's still quite the sweetheart. Rather than trying to dominate me, she ''protects'' me from the ducks haha. She still sounds the alarm at anything unusual, including strangers. She's just a big goofus. I think it depends more on the individual goose than anything. Just do what you believe is best for your gosling, though if you do want it to be people friendly I do suggest socializing it while it's still young. Otherwise it may be skittish or possibly aggressive towards people.

I only have one. Going off of Joel Salatin's advice to only have one per flock when it comes to having a goose specifically as a "guard goose."

To be honest, Geese aren't really 'guard' animals as much as they are 'alert' animals. A large enough racoon could easily kill a goose. Same applies to other predators. I think regardless of the number of geese you have, they'll still yell at the sight of any kind of predator that may pose a threat to them. I think if raised with your flock, they'll see that as their flock regardless of if you have 1 goose or 2.

why-not-to-keep-one-goose-png.1261148

Back
Top Bottom