Guess Estaban breed

Dance_in_Fire

Chirping
Aug 27, 2019
Midlands SC
This is my new handsome roo. Estaban.
I don't really care what breed he is its more of a curiousity and he was raised free range and takes care of the hens when they are out.
My guess is a sapphire gem, easter egger or amerucana cross
The people i got him from have a range of birds but the oldest roo is either amerucana or easter egger and the hens vary alot in breed.

Attachments

• 20221214_074726.jpg
    20221214_074726.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 15
At first glance, I thought he looked like a Bielefelder who also has the blue gene.

He's got blue, and he's got white barring, but other than that he appears to be the basic black breasted red color that's pretty common in Easter Eggers.

I would love to hear @NatJ or @nicalandia or someone else who understands genetics more than me guess at what the breeder did to get a Rooster that looks like this
Do you like to play with the genetics calculator?
http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

I think the rooster has these genes:
e-locus some combination of E^Wh, e^b, e+
Barring, either B/B or B/b (I'm not sure which)
Blue, Bl/bl+
Everything else on the default wild-type setting (genes all marked with +)

For what breeds were actually crossed, he could be a multi-generation cross rather than a two-breed cross.

A few possibilities:

Crossing a Cream Legbar or Bielefelder with a Sapphire Gem might be able to make a rooster that looks like that, along with a few that look different as well. (I can't tell whether he has a small crest like a Cream Legbar, or no crest.)

Crossing a Black Sexlink rooster with certain Easter Egger hens could probably also produce a rooster like that.

If he has the blue egg gene, he probably got it from a Cream Legbar, because he has a single comb. If he does not have the blue egg gene, he could still have Legbar ancestry (but a grandparent or further back, not a parent). Either way, he could also have some Easter Egger ancestry, possibly a parent or grandparent or further back-- no good way to tell.

There are probably quite a few other mixes that COULD produce a rooster with that appearance, if they're given a few generations to mix.

Back
Top Bottom