Guess the franken-color?

Both parents were cuckoo. The father's single-barred, and you can only see the barring in some of his tail and hackle feathers. So while it's very possible they might not be barred, the pigment inhibition suggests otherwise
I wasn’t expecting the beak to lighten in color as the white one aged. Skin color could also be sex linked? Two of my silkie fur balls have pale skin but mom also carries dominate white.

I wasn’t expecting the beak to lighten in color as the white one aged. Skin color could also be sex linked? Two of my silkie fur balls have pale skin but mom also carries dominate white.
I was surprised too! I don't remember if the father did the same thing as a chick, but this baby is throwing me for a loop! Honestly, even though this baby only has four toes, I might keep it in my color project just because I'm so intrigued.

Alrighty, so I have a color-development update for the light chick: We are about 9 weeks old, and he (and he's definitely a he, look at that crest coming in....) has started developing some gold on top of the Splash. I'm really intrigued to see how this one will mature, and I'm bummed I can't replicate the breeding (lost the mother to a fox), so trying to breed the color true will be a chore, but might be worth doing?

1000013422.jpg
1000013424.jpg
1000013418.jpg

For comparison, I dug up some pictures of The Jerk (his father) at roughly the same age. The Jerk started off all buff and developed his blue underfluff at about 3 months.

20230207_105527.jpg

8 weeks

03.10.23.1.jpg

12 weeks

05.12.23.1.jpg

16 weeks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom