Guess what i just got🤭!!!!!

Pics
The second chick is partridge. Or at least what most silkie breeders consider to be partridge. It’s definitely not birchen.

I stand corrected! For some weird reason I thought partridge was slightly different, broadly due to the variation this color can show. It still looks a little too bright for a partridge, but I guess the color will fade with age

Apparently if hold them gently by their neck bone and lift them of the ground and they stay limp they are a rooster,but if you do it and they kick your hand there a hen.I now this seems like a wives tale but so far it has worked.

I stand corrected! For some weird reason I thought partridge was slightly different, broadly due to the variation this color can show. It still looks a little too bright for a partridge, but I guess the color will fade with age
Partridge in silkies varies a lot. Keep in mind that most silkies aren’t bred true to color, mixed colors are super common in that breed. And partridge itself is also pretty variable.
And yes, that mostly black chick is most definitely, black based. It's possible the gold on it is leakage. Any thoughts on sex?
I’m not much good at sexing silkies, the best I can do is a wild guess

Apparently if hold them gently by their neck bone and lift them of the ground and they stay limp they are a rooster,but if you do it and they kick your hand there a hen.I now this seems like a wives tale but so far it has worked.

I don't think this is considered the most ethical of ways to sex a chick, apart from the fact that, as far as I know, it only works on day olds

I can tell you what gender they are, as long as you have a close-up picture of the head and pictures from the side! Congratulations on the silken ones, I hope you enjoy them!

Partridge in silkies varies a lot. Keep in mind that most silkies aren’t bred true to color, mixed colors are super common in that breed. And partridge itself is also pretty variable.

I’m not much good at sexing silkies, the best I can do is a wild guess

Yeah, I remember someone on this forum saying, "if you hate yourself, breed partridge silkies" they do vary a lot, even in the show quality ones

In fact, the partridge color is pretty much standardized in Europe and I know a lot of breeders who have excellent specimens with excellent, clear silkies in partridge color. The problem is with the blue and lavender color, which are very rare. Likewise, in Europe there is a problem with red silkies , which is not like in the rest of the world (at least as far as I can see on the internet), the red EU silkies are quite bad.
Here is the standard for partridge color, so you have some guidelines:
The partridge
Male plumage: Head and crest dark orange. Hackles orange/yellow, free from washiness,
each feather having a clear black stripe down the centre. Back and shoulders dark
orange. Wing bar, solid black; primaries black, free from any white; secondaries, outer
web dark orange, inner web black, the dark orange alone showing when the wing is
closed. Tail and sickles black. Leg and foot feather black. Breast and fl uff black. Undercolour
slate-grey, free from white.
Female plumage: Neck and breast lemon striped black. Hackle feathers black centre
with lemon edge. Crest, lemon and black mingling. Body, including wings and cushion,
black barring on soft partridge-brown. Undercolour slate-grey. Leg foot feather colour
as the body. Black permissible in the tail.

Back
Top Bottom