Guess what season it is in the Northern Hemisphere?! - Its FODDER Season! 🍀

Pics
I usually do Barley but I ended up needing to put a little heat in my garage to really get it going. The Winter Wheat doesn't mind the cold so it's good for me to try out.
I like to add in some sprouting peas and radish etc. sometimes too.
We used to have a 1000 pound a day fodder system for our cows but got rid of it. I'll do it small scale though because it makes me happy. :) I'll say this because I didn't see it mentioned but different fodder seeds need soaked for different amounts of time.
Barley needs to soak for 12 hours and the Winter Wheat seemed to do better at 8 or less.
Winter Wheat has worked best for me so far: Best germination rate, very tolerant to too long soaking even after 12 hours over 50% would still sprout and grows best at low temperatures.
Rye also worked fine for me last year, but oat was a bust, very low germination rate.
For @gtaus Barley worked best last year, but he got some bad seeds this year.

I've done fodder in all sorts of ways. Right now I'm loving my newest invention. ;)
View attachment 2453944
I got a couple of these plastic feeder pans and my husband drilled some drainage holes.
View attachment 2453945
The chicks pecked at the tops, and when they were eaten down I removed it from the pans so they could eat the rest. Before they were pulling out the long grasses and it would get stuck half down their throat. This way they don't choke on it and can eat it all.
This is winter wheat, it grows great in my unheated garage.
That's an awesome idea! I'll have to remember that for my spring chicks. I know exactly what you mean by them choking on the long pieces of grass.

I did a "quickie" experiment with alfalfa in a couple of margarine tubs. That went over very well with the chickens. Now I'm trying four little tubs of chia seeds. (And I end up with the "ch-ch-ch-chia song in my head every day! Grrrr!) I have a three pound bag of chia from Costco; I figure that should last a looooong time. If they like this, then I will be starting new seeds every day of the week so that they have fresh greens all winter.

I also plan to try sprouts from seeds I got from a large weed that is in the amaranth family. I know it as red rooted pig weed. Can't beat free!

I did a "quickie" experiment with alfalfa in a couple of margarine tubs. That went over very well with the chickens. Now I'm trying four little tubs of chia seeds. (And I end up with the "ch-ch-ch-chia song in my head every day! Grrrr!) I have a three pound bag of chia from Costco; I figure that should last a looooong time. If they like this, then I will be starting new seeds every day of the week so that they have fresh greens all winter.

I also plan to try sprouts from seeds I got from a large weed that is in the amaranth family. I know it as red rooted pig weed. Can't beat free!

Winter Wheat has worked best for me so far: Best germination rate, very tolerant to too long soaking even after 12 hours over 50% would still sprout and grows best at low temperatures.
Rye also worked fine for me last year, but oat was a bust, very low germination rate.
For @gtaus Barley worked best last year, but he got some bad seeds this year.
The tray I started last night soaked for over 24 hours. I'm anxious to see what the germination will be. The seeds just about absorbed all the water they were in, although I admit it's probably around 2 cups seeds and 3 cups of water in the soak bin.

Barley is boss. I spout ALOT of it. I also sell tons of seed for those who are interested. My flock eats it up! Here a little clip of one of the biscuits.

That's a really nice looking mat of barley fodder. I know my chickens would peck and scratch that fodder apart in no time.

Ducks have flat bills and webbed feet. Do you find your ducks are able to tear apart the nice thick root mat of your fodder? I ask because some people with ducks have stated they prefer a thin root mat because the ducks have an easier time tearing it apart.

I’ve not heard of fodder but will give Chia a try today!!!

@Wormhunter, the chia was a total bust. It turned into a gooey mess. You can use chia to make pudding, as a thickener, or an egg replacement in a recipe. I thought if I spread the seeds out on a terra cotta dish, they would just make a flat mat chia pet. But they got gooey and then molded.

I did not use any bleach in the rinse/watering water to inhibit the mold. So maybe keep that in mind, and let us know how it goes! Good luck.

I'm trying to make rice fodder now. I read up on amaranth, and it isn't a good thing for the chickens to eat.

Back
Top Bottom