Pics

HuffleClaw

Sudden Reptile Fanatic
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Alabama
Babies...! :D

22 of ‘em.. Wow.

Buff Orpingtons! Healthy, happy, fluffy little things.

Anyone have brooder ideas? Currently they are in a storage tote...which is probably okay for a day or so, but it’s honestly not enough space for them. Should I set up another tote? Or try to fix up a brooder big enough to fit all of them?

Of course...pictures:
8F9E326E-39BA-4C69-BBBA-AA38230BE667.jpeg
0030F936-8A79-4B48-B5D6-0FE2C80D37C7.jpeg

Also can anyone tell if this is marker or..??
C1B1D310-07AC-40F1-9605-23B4041EAEFE.jpeg

Thanks!!

EDIT- 10/2/20 - Go to page 7 for a big update.

Last edited:
Here they are! Just moved. :) At this rate... I think I’m gonna need something even BIGGER soon enough. Sooo, I think I’ll put them in a coop on the ground with a heat lamp after they outgrow this.

*the paper towels was just for today. I’ve got to pick up more shavings tomorrow.

Also they may not be buff Orpingtons. That’s what they were sold as but the wings are coming in mostly white with a bit of black. I’ll get close ups later.

598DC781-AB50-4DC5-867B-5D1A57F797DE.jpeg
31840ABE-E0C6-4F3E-8ADB-F7E24BD541B5.jpeg

I as of yet have no reason to think it's not Orp.
It's pretty commonplace for them to get these speckles. Usually they grow out.

I also find the Buff Orp pullets often get their wings and tails in first, while many of the cockerels take up to 12 weeks to get a proper tail in. Not an exact science, but a good indication!
You should have a pretty good idea of the genders by 5 weeks, and if not, I'd love to help.

Update photos are definitely welcomed.

I was thinking something like this, but where would the heat lamp go..? I guess hang it separately on a stand or something. View attachment 2340636
You can also use a brooder plate or a mama heating pad. I personally use the Brinsea EcoGlow plates they are economical in use though the initial expense can be a bit high, they are less of a fire hazard than the red lamp and they mimic the more natural behavior of the chicks.😊

With a tote that small, watch out if you're using a heatlamp--there may not be enough places to get away from the heat, and it's easy to overheat a chick. But definitely think about mama heating pads or heating plates--that may give you more build options, they're generally much safer, and chicks love them. Of course with 22, you'd either need a couple plates or one massive one. Buff O's are so cute. Best of luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom