Guidance on the sub-floor of a duck run/predator proofing

cccc540

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
I'm preparing for the arrival of our small flock of ducks in a few weeks. In planning the run, I have come to a point where I don't know how to proceed. In my original plan, I was going to build the run on top of grass, put hardware cloth around the perimeter (either buried vertically directly under the edge of the run, on laid on top of the ground alongside the run, pinned down, perhaps with some dirt shoveled on top) to deter any predators from digging. If the ducks destroyed the grass, I had planned on tossing in straw or something else so it wasn't just bare soil. It occurred to me that it might be easier to attach the hardware cloth to all sides of the run, including the floor, and then just adding something on top of the hardware cloth to protect the ducks feet and make life more interesting (like straw, mulch, shredded leaves, etc.) Is one way better than the other? I feel like the fully enclosed pen is perhaps a bit more predator proof, but it would definitely limit their ability to dig down in the dirt, and enjoy grass for however long it lasts. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I’m finishing up my pen. I wanted them to be able to forage for worms and bugs and grass so I dug about a foot- foot and a half down from the side of the pen depending on what tree roots would let me do. But I want it to be safer so was thinking of getting some more hardware cloth or even chicken fencing and lay it out on the ground around the pen and tack it down and cover it with soil for extra protection against diggers

I’m finishing up my pen. I wanted them to be able to forage for worms and bugs and grass so I dug about a foot- foot and a half down from the side of the pen depending on what tree roots would let me do. But I want it to be safer so was thinking of getting some more hardware cloth or even chicken fencing and lay it out on the ground around the pen and tack it down and cover it with soil for extra protection against diggers

That's an interesting idea. It would certainly make me feel better about security. I tried purchasing hardware cloth last night- apparently it's currently hard to find! It was out of stock in my local stores and my first online order got cancelled an hour later. Hoping the 2nd online order sticks! I might do chicken fencing for the digging deterrent, and hardware cloth only on the run.

That's an interesting idea. It would certainly make me feel better about security. I tried purchasing hardware cloth last night- apparently it's currently hard to find! It was out of stock in my local stores and my first online order got cancelled an hour later. Hoping the 2nd online order sticks! I might do chicken fencing for the digging deterrent, and hardware cloth only on the run.

Yeah I can’t find hardware cloth anywhere and I had an order on amazon canceled. I have some 1/4 inch pvc coated chicken wire fencing that I’m going to use to lay next to the pen and cover up with dirt. Should protect nicely at least til I can get some hardware clothe

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom