Tips on predator proofing run!

hotmessmom

In the Brooder
May 14, 2023
Hey y’all! We have a couple mallard hens who will be moving outside in a few days. I was going to keep them with my chickens (all hens too) until our neighbor offered us this run for free and I’m not one to turn down something free LOL

We are going to add hardware cloth up the sides and create an apron on the ground. We will also be adding a roof and a coop inside the run. The ducks will free range during the day but just wanted a little extra security around their coop when they get put up at night.

What I’m most concerned about is the gaps around the door. Any suggestions on how to seal those up? Also any other suggestions on making it more secure? Thank y’all!!
C848A668-2709-40C1-B998-ED4E3CF554C3.jpeg

I wonder if you could wrap the pipe with pipe insulation to decrease the gaps? 🤷‍♀️. Otherwise, as long as you are using the hardware cloth and adding a roof, you should be good.

We bought a similar metal frame pen when we first got ducks. We covered the *outside* of the door in hardware cloth, and had it extend into the gaps, folded over so it's not the pointy bits going into the gaps. The on the inside of the frame around the door, same thing. In this way there is almost no gap. Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom