Guinea bullying

bdouglas713

Chirping
Nov 16, 2021
I have 10 Guineas, 4 months old. They've been raised together the entire time and in the same environment.
Recently, I've noticed one tends to stay with the group but a few feet away from them.
Occasionally when it gets closer, some will chase it away. Sometimes it gets right in with the group with no issues.
Today, when I put them back in the coop, that one was last to go in and they chased it around when it went in until it flew back out (I didn't have the door completely closed).

Note * when I first moved them to their coop at 6 weeks old, one escaped and lived in the woods beside the house for 3 weeks and then returned with no issues. Not sure if this is the same bird or not. Either way the bullying really just started.

Any feedback? Suggestions?

I have 10 Guineas, 4 months old. They've been raised together the entire time and in the same environment.
Recently, I've noticed one tends to stay with the group but a few feet away from them.
Occasionally when it gets closer, some will chase it away. Sometimes it gets right in with the group with no issues.
Today, when I put them back in the coop, that one was last to go in and they chased it around when it went in until it flew back out (I didn't have the door completely closed).

Note * when I first moved them to their coop at 6 weeks old, one escaped and lived in the woods beside the house for 3 weeks and then returned with no issues. Not sure if this is the same bird or not. Either way the bullying really just started.

Any feedback? Suggestions?
Normal behavior for guineas. Observe them and see if you can find a particular aggressor. If you find the instigator, separate it for a time out for up to a week before returning it to the flock.

Make sure you have obstacles and hiding places that the picked on one can use when needed.

It's a good idea to have multiple feeders and waterers especially if they are out of sight of each other.

Good luck.

oh that's interesting, i was going to post a similar question. Our adults have been together in a group for almost exactly a year now (so guess they are nearly 18 months old or so). One has been singled out this week and really bullied by the most dominant male. we have 3 girls and 3 boys, it just worked out that way and they've been peaceful until now.

so when this chap is well enough to go back with the others should we try and catch the big guy if he's still at it?
ideally do we need more hens? I know one of my 2 month olds is probably a hen as it's got the 2 syllable call and i am guessing we will have some more in the latest hatch.

so when this chap is well enough to go back with the others should we try and catch the big guy if he's still at it?
Sometimes giving the bully a "time out" can help. This is just guinea nature to be like this. It is entirely possible that the picked on one started it by challenging the leader but sometimes they just do things for their own reasons which don't make sense to anyone but them.

This is one of the reasons that it requires a bigger flock for guineas to get along with each other. It also requires lots of room and lots of hiding places so that those that are picked on have places to escape and hide if necessary.

It usually isn't too bad when it is one on one but guineas will often gang up up on an outcast.

Good luck.

ideally do we need more hens?
One to one is a really good ratio but it doesn't hurt to have a couple more hens than males. No matter what you do, life will not always run smoothly in a guinea flock. It's their nature to have conflict among themselves especially during breeding and laying season.

thanks. We put the bullied one back in with the others today as he was looking more robust and the bully immediately went after him so my husband caught him and he's in a time out pen now. the others seem quite peaceful now, started making happy guinea chirrups pretty much straight away so I think we've definitely identified the culprit. see what happens in a few days. one of the hens is still laying but the others seem to have given up for the year so hopefully everyone will settle down a bit now as we head into winter. We have to rebuild the coop after some storm damage so they will get a much bigger space soon too.

Back
Top Bottom