Guinea down-update 9/3 not good

X2Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Homer, GA
So one of the guinea keets in the first batch of bebies (now 4 weeks old) seems to be having some leg problems
sad.png

She was find until a few days ago. She's weak on one side, falls down on that side, can't get up. Almost like a stroke
hu.gif
though she's eating and drinking and growing. Today, she was stuck and couldn't do much but cheep and lay there. I scooped her outta the brooder, and got her legs taped up with first aid tape and qtip shafts. I'm hoping this works, I'm not sure what else to do? Oh, and I did give her 2 drops of Polyvisol as well, to help...

Would getting some higher protien feed help? Is it possible this is a developmental type structural problem? All the keets are in with the chicks, and they've been getting the regular chick starter. I was thinking of adding some gamebird starter mixed in to help, or should I just get the higher protien starter?
hu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed either game bird or turkey starter. When they get older I put them in with chickens and they get lay crumbles. By then they are usually eating a lot of bugs. Maybe you could add brewers yeast, but I really would switch them to game bird starter.

Got em some of the 24% starter today. Hopefully that helps. IT will be mixed in with the regular chick starter, since they're brooding with the 23 other chicks I have.

The guniea seems to be doin much better now... though getting up and down is a bit iffy, better then this morning! YAY!!!

Would alfalfa pellets be a good option, also? I know we used to feem them to horses especially during the winter, due to the extra protien...
hu.gif

Oh, and, the keet was not happy about bein seperated, even with 2 younger keets in with her... she even got mad enough to find her adult voice!
ep.gif
Glad it didn't wake up DH
lau.gif

Well, she seems to be doing a bit better now. Thankfully!!! I've still got her seperated with 2 younger keets for company. Keeping her on the vitamins for a few more days. Hopefully she strengthens up soon, as they'll probably end up in the new coop by this weekend
fl.gif
fl.gif

So she was doing fine, a bit slow healing but better. Tonight, I found her on her back (first time thats happened) and I put her back upright. I force fed her some mashed up starter, and put some scrambled eggs in the brooder in the bottom half of the feeder for her as well. She's seperated with 2 other week old chicks, to keep commotion and possible dog piling to a minimum.

I don't understand it
sad.png
She's got some spunk, and other then the leg and weight loss, is doing absolutely A OK. Guess she'll just need extra time, and I'll get some yogurt tomorrow for her as well.

What else can I do? She's not "telling" me its cull time yet. She's showing shes got plenty of life left in her.

Would it be a good idea to make a sling for her to stay in for a few days at a time, to help alleviate some pressure from her legs?

Back
Top Bottom