Guinea fowl incubation

I can tell by day 5 or 6 whether or not my eggs are fertile or clear, but I have incubated a couple thousand Guinea eggs, lol so I know exactly what I am looking for. Day 10 is when a lot of people will candle their Guinea eggs for the first time, or you can wait until day 14 if you want. It's pretty hard to mistake a developing egg at day 10, and especially at day 14. There's an obvious color change to the egg content, and also visible veining. I don't have pics of eggs at day 10 or 14, but check out the pics I posted in this post, they may help you.

Thank you... I tried sticking em under a broody goose and duck.. But they take them out (smart):p will check on day ten... It's only been five days and I see a slight shadow.. Where the yolk is.. But no veins.. I am a bit over zealous .. Lol.. Thanks again

I checked out your pics and I candled one big side up, i have been candling wrong methinks!:( I SEE VEINS !! Soo chuffed... But a bit confused cause I have never seen them mate.. Lol.. Happy happy!!

I'm no expert on candling, but I think I'm one of a handful of people in the U.S. to have seen guineas mate LOL (okay, that's an exaggeration). It's what I call a "Fly-By" mating, and if you blink, you'll miss it. No kidding. It's QUICK. You may see it and not know what it is!

I have a friend from whom I got my first guineas. She said she had never seen a pair in her flock mate - ever - and while she said that, I saw a pair mate. We couldn't believe it. I haven't seen it since though, and I hatched several eggs from a pair of mine.

At day 14 of candling (I'm a novice, too) I about jumped out of my skin when I saw the veining clear as a bell. Just wait until they start to wiggle in the egg. LOL. It's a blast.

Guinea matings definitely are fly-bies. Most of the time I just hear feathers rustling and by the time I turn my head to look it's over. And then just a quick tuck/fix of a few ruffled feathers and the Hen acts like nothing happened. I see it a lot with my flocks, but I have a lot of birds and they always free range near my deck, garden and in my front horse pasture so I guess have more chances to catch them in the act than most people.

And Frosterley, I don't think there is a wrong way to candle eggs... as long as you shine a bright light thru the egg and can look for development. (My eggs in those pics are in an automatic egg turner, still in the incubator... I was lazy and just held the light to the eggs where they were, rather than picking up each of the eggs, lol).

Thanks guys.. Maybe I will one day see this 2 second wonder lol.. I have left a few eggs just incase the guinea hen gets broody.. So hopefully keets from her too..

Frosterly, if your guinea hen hatches keets out, consider taking them in and brooding them up. Guineas are lousy mothers, and keets die easily from cold, wet and predators. Lots of people put the keets under a broody chicken hen, and they seem to do a great job. Keep us posted on the hatch. We're crossing our fingers for you!

I got to that point, too, PeepsCA. I'd sort them "Probable Clears" "Probable Fertiles" "Definitely Fertile" and then just check progress without picking them up from the turner. Oh, man, I still remember picking one up one day before lockdown and seeing an internal pip, picking up another and seeing an external pip.... My heart started racing and I gathered up every egg and put them in lockdown that minute. Most of the fertile eggs hatched like popcorn. What a thrill. I guess it's because it was my first larger, most successful hatch.

Can't wait for spring. Gotta get that heart rate up. :).

Thanks @JLeigh.. Will keep you all posted.. It's kinda busy here.. Ducks on eggs for last 2 weeks, geese are molting, bantam was disturbed by monkeys and won't sit on her eggs, (trying to see if i can save them by incubating ) and the guineas are running around scaring most of em ..lol..

Back
Top Bottom