Guinea Fowl just died

outdoorbunny

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Culpeper, Virginia
I just lost my first guinea fowl yesterday. She was 5 months old and looked perfectly health yesterday morning. She was running around in the pen with her 5 other buddies all morning then when I went out to feed them around 6pm, I found her dead under the coop. (They like to lay in the dirt under the coop where it's cool.) There was no blood, no pulled feathers, it's like she laid down to take a nap and didn't wake up. I was inside the pen from 9am til 1pm cleaning and playing with the pig so I would have noticed if anyone was sick because the guineas love to follow me around and lay at my feet every chance they get. Plus I didn't see any funky poop while I was cleaning their coop.

She shares a 3,000 sq ft grassy pen with netting about 16 feet hight with 5 other guineas, 5 young golden pheasants, and a 8 week old pot belly pig. They are fed gamebird feed twice a day.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions as to what may have caused her death? I'm worried about my other birds. So far no one is showing signs of illness but....neither did she.

Debra

She may have been eggbound, If you want to know, you can stick 2 fingers up her vent to see if you can feel an egg. Usually there are no symptoms until a few days have gone by.

don't have an answer but wanted to say 'sorry for your lose'....had a chicken hen die
with no signs of illness, fine when she went in her pen for the night....the next morning
she was dead...laying on the ground...no pulled feathers...no blood...just a dead hen....
all the other chickens, guineas,ducks and peafowl are fine....

again, sorry for your lose...
hugs.gif

Thank you. I still do not know what killed her. She wasn't eggbound or showing any signs of illness. My 5 other guineas are all doing fine. I guess I'll never know for sure since I didn't send her in for a necropsy. She was my noisy girl. She will be missed.

Debra

We just had a guinea fowl die as well. No signs of illness, no missing feathers or bites or blood. I don't think it was eggbound either. We think it was the male but could be wrong. He was our noisy one and very aggressive. No idea how this happened. Perfect in the morning but dead when we got home. Our guineas stay in the coop with our chickens. No other birds seem to be ill. We are hoping this isn't an illness brewing in our flock. Anyone else have experience with this?

I am sorry for your losses.

If you really want to know the reason, send the birds in for necropsy. Knowing exactly what was wrong will give you the opportunity of treatment in case it might be advised and additionally will give you peace of mind regarding your other birds.

Thank you. I still do not know what killed her. She wasn't eggbound or showing any signs of illness. My 5 other guineas are all doing fine. I guess I'll never know for sure since I didn't send her in for a necropsy. She was my noisy girl. She will be missed.

Debra
This just happened to me just now. I found my guinea fowl flat on the ground with her legs underneath her. no sign of broken neck or injury or illness. She was 9 months old.

Back
Top Bottom