Guinea Fowl

We read 'Gardening With Guineas' and got 10 guinea keets. They are such funny birds, BUT so far they seem to have forgotten to read the chapter that said they would eat bugs, weeds, etc. Right now they are good at eating weed seeds... we are hoping they will help keep the mice, snakes, and lizards down.
They free range about an hour or so a day... watch out for their flight, it is pretty amusing.... and then are happy in the chicken run. They do really sound the alarm when danger approaches... then the 'girls' are statues under the tree and the 'goonies' are screeching.
So far they are leaving the chickens alone for the most part. If it comes to chickens or guineas...... will keep the chickens.

Hmmmm................are they quails?

Oh, quails! They sound interesting...............but! I should only choose one! Guineas? Quails? ooooohhhhh........it's hard to decide!

Guineas! For entertainment and pest control! No wait, Quails........for eggs! Nooooooooo...............which is which???

Oh.....and my mom really doesn't want me to get some guineas because she thinks they're worthless! She doesn't want to eat the eggs or meat...............but I want them for pets and fun!
smile.png

Last edited:
I too loved my guineas. They will wander away though, so if not kept in a coop/run they could decide just to leave.
That happened with two of my flocks. As soon as they were allowed to free range older guineas from neighboring farms would come every day and unfortunately led the youngsters away. I was heartbroken after raising them from chicks, but the neighbor they ended up living with loved them, so it all worked out. I do want to get some more in the spring. They are SOOOO funny to watch, extraordinary insect eradicators, reliable property protectors and so on. I just hope with my almost 4 year old chickens who can't wander away will keep the guineas home.

Mac

Owning guineas sounds very exciting! Must have some! No wait - Quails.............nooooo here we go again.......

Back
Top Bottom