Guinea hen molting?

Jem1721

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 5, 2012
Hey everyone - i am having an issue with one of my birds.. hopefully its not anything serious but it looks pretty bad.. Im not sure if shes molting or has a disease, but i took some pictures. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Shes been this was for about 2 weeks now, losing feathers and whatnot- its been really rainy over the past month and i think thats when it started. She seems healthy otherwise - eats, drinks, free ranges .. she just looks sick.. It almost looks like its begun to heal but i cant be sure.

Please help!

That's not like any molt I've ever seen in my flocks...
Could be mites or lice tho, do have any wood stove ashes or burn pile ashes? If so I'd thoroughly dust the bird with them to kill the mites/lice/critters, then repeat in 10 days, then in another few days slather NuStock (a livestock topical medication) all over the bare areas to promote new feather growth. Jeffers has it if you can't find it locally
http://www.jefferspet.com/nu-stock/camid/LIV/cp/4F-A1/

Also I'd make sure the birds have plenty of protein in their diet and are not over crowded, the bare/raw/scabby spots on this bird could be from your other birds in the flock picking/eating feathers... the NuStock will also help with that if that is the issue (it tastes nasty to the other birds).

Hey everyone - i am having an issue with one of my birds.. hopefully its not anything serious but it looks pretty bad.. Im not sure if shes molting or has a disease, but i took some pictures. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Shes been this was for about 2 weeks now, losing feathers and whatnot- its been really rainy over the past month and i think thats when it started. She seems healthy otherwise - eats, drinks, free ranges .. she just looks sick.. It almost looks like its begun to heal but i cant be sure.

This looks like the work of some over-eager Guinea cocks. I have several chicken hens and one Guinea hen who have gone bald from have too many cocks of both species. I got rid of 2 of my 3 chicken roosters (a result of incorrect sexting at the farm store) and bought aprons for the chickens. Looks like I'm going to have to buy one for my balding Guinea hen as well. A large one, which I'll probably purchase from the Backyard Chickens store.

You replied to a post from July 18, 2013. @Jem1721 hasn't been on BYC since Aug. 9, 2013.

If you want to learn about guineas, pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA
She is the expert when it comes to guineas.

Back
Top Bottom