guinea pig questions

yoker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Can you have 2 guinea pig females together when they have babies?
When soon do you breed your guinea pig after she had the first litter?

I am not sure but i have had 2 hamsters and 2 mice (females) together with out any problem you might goggle it and see what comes up there or you can put them in the same cage at different end, with a divider and see how that goes, or just watch them for a while and see what happens I had 2 female hamster's one that always got pregnant and would give up on the pups after 1 day and the other one would take over for her, even if she had babies of her own so I am not sure if the same would be for guinea pigs.

yes you can have two females in the same cage when one is going to have babies, they actually love helping each other out. If they are both pregnant and due pretty close to one another you need to be careful as the 2nd mom usually assists with the labor and the hormones from the birthing can set the 2nd mom into labor and even if just a week early babies may be premature and not survive.

I usually give my mommas 3-5 months off before attempting to breed them again so they can replenish all their nutrients that have been depleted by pregnancy and nursing. Make sure daddy pig is out of the cage before momma gives birth because they do come into heat after giving birth so they will get pregnant within 24 hours if daddy is still in there and its really hard on their bodies to have that "breedback" pregnancy.

Last edited:
Thanks that was what I was wondering.
So you can have about 2 litters a year?
I looked at your website you have some beautifull Guinea pigs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom