guinea question

Tad

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
South TX on the border
how many guinea hens to males do I need to keep for breeding? I was thinking 8 or 9 hens and one male is that to many for one male to handle? if I keep 2 males will they constantly fight?

In my experience, 1 male to that many hens will not be too much for him. I would be concerned with just one male, that if something happens to him, you will not have any adult males. Guineas lay ALOT of eggs. Our two females have laid over 100 eggs in the last several months. They will usually sit on about 20 eggs at a time. If your birds are free range, and something frightens them while they are on the nest, they will abandon their eggs and start a new nest. We have 3 males and they do not fight. I had one male who was very aggressive towards my chickens, turkeys and peafowl, but he was not aggressive towards the other males. (He went to a new home) They really do need to be raised together, though, in order to get along...Males and females alike. They do not seem to integrate well with strange guineas. I have had guineas for 3 years. I do not claim to be an expert, but I have learned a few things. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom