Guinea talk.

Congratulations martins on your hatch that's amazing. Still no keeters here
Mary Jane is still setting.

hI, I HAVE 10 GUINEAS FULL GROWN. ONE IS SETTING ON 32 EGGS AND THE OTHER HAVEN'T FOUND HER NEST YET. I HAVE 6 EGGS IN THE INCUBATOR AND TODAY WAS SUPPOSE TO BE LOCK DOWN, ON CANDLING I NOTICED THAT THE EGGS ARE SLOW DEVELOPING BUT MOVING. WHY ARE THESE EGGS DEVELOPING SLOW. IT IS DAY 25 BUT NOT READY TO LOCKDOWN. THE EGGS ARE THE FIRST EGGS THAT THE GUINEAS LAID. MY GROWN GUINEAS, WERE FROM MY NEIGHBORS GUINEA WHO WAS HIT BY A CAR.

I would help, but this is my first year with the guineas laying and incubating so I don't want to give you incorrect information. What temp and humidity have the eggs been kept at? When you candled did you notice the size of the air space?

I am only on day 2 with 21 eggs in my incubator. There are two nests in the barn coop. One with 21 eggs (was hoping to keep it at 20, but she's still laying - I pulled 13 out of her nest) and the other I'll try to limit to 20 - I pulled 8 out of her nest to incubate. She's now at 9. There was also a broken egg in her nest. I'll have to monitor as I think I have an egg breaker in the mix. Grrr!

@GlennLee Thank you so much. They are so stinkin cute. James and I have a buyer for the brown babies, another friend of ours wants to get into guineas, so next week either they are going with them or two of my adults. Foxy and Juliette, since the flock pushes those two away.

And Splayed legged baby is now fixed. I watched a video on youtube about how to cure it and one trick was a rubber band and a cut piece of a drinking straw. I tried it and now she/he is running around fine. But the cut straw is gone.

And i am noticing one of my chicken chicks might have a neurological problem, their head is constantly moving back and forth almost like a slow type writter. They eat fine but i am fearing the worse for that one. Everyone else is hunky dorky.

And we are officially NPIP!

Over the time the site was down James and I sold our last two Turkey Toms as I caught them attacking my chickens and guineas to the point they would pick them up by their heads. Royally upsetting me, but instead of culling them this young I sold them to people who had turkeys or were just starting turkeys for breeding and or pets.

Now we are down to 4 adult hens, three of which lay.

Here are the Guinea's. All 9 of them.
2 Orphaned and my 7 hatched. The last one to hatch has splayed legs, I put her/him in a container with an old sock to try and bring in their legs.
Our flock grew from 65 to a whopping 89 Birds and 6 Rabbits.
We will be doing a cockerel and Drake flushing once we know who is what, and keeping only the ones we have for breeding pure breeds.
Warning Picture Heavy!
View attachment 556815 Basket'o'Guinea
View attachment 556818 splayed legs
View attachment 556820 View attachment 556824 Tips
View attachment 556825 View attachment 556826 Mini Charlie
View attachment 556828 View attachment 556830 Num. 8 aka First born
View attachment 556831 View attachment 556834 Caps
View attachment 556836 View attachment 556838 Mini Zelda
View attachment 556840 View attachment 556841 Mini Delta
The orphans
They are maybe a day or so older than my guys and gals so perfect age. I also have them with 16 chicken chicks and 1 Turkey poult. A friend of mine is getting out of the business and is selling everything. He just got rid of his breeding flock of Guineas, countless meat rabbits (6 of which James and I got), Chickens and Turkeys. We might be able to get another poult to make 1 into 2, since Back Spanish's are amazing and endangered from what we read on hatcheries and Livestock Conservancy site.

View attachment 556843
View attachment 556845 View attachment 556847 Spunky
View attachment 556849 View attachment 556851 Cricket
You might try a band aid or some vet wrap to attach the two legs together and to try and stabilize the splayed leg. I thought I'd attach a few links in case anyone wanted to know how to treat it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/spraddle-leg-splay-leg-treatment-instructions.41693/

http://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/articles/orthopedics-for-poultry-made-easy-for-beginners/

http://guineas.com/articles/splay.php

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

@GlennLee Thank you so much. They are so stinkin cute. James and I have a buyer for the brown babies, another friend of ours wants to get into guineas, so next week either they are going with them or two of my adults. Foxy and Juliette, since the flock pushes those two away.

And Splayed legged baby is now fixed. I watched a video on youtube about how to cure it and one trick was a rubber band and a cut piece of a drinking straw. I tried it and now she/he is running around fine. But the cut straw is gone.

And i am noticing one of my chicken chicks might have a neurological problem, their head is constantly moving back and forth almost like a slow type writter. They eat fine but i am fearing the worse for that one. Everyone else is hunky dorky.

And we are officially NPIP!

Over the time the site was down James and I sold our last two Turkey Toms as I caught them attacking my chickens and guineas to the point they would pick them up by their heads. Royally upsetting me, but instead of culling them this young I sold them to people who had turkeys or were just starting turkeys for breeding and or pets.

Now we are down to 4 adult hens, three of which lay.

Sorry, didn't see your reply before I posted the splayed leg treatment. Glad the keet is doing well! Congrats on all your new additions!

hI, I HAVE 10 GUINEAS FULL GROWN. ONE IS SETTING ON 32 EGGS AND THE OTHER HAVEN'T FOUND HER NEST YET. I HAVE 6 EGGS IN THE INCUBATOR AND TODAY WAS SUPPOSE TO BE LOCK DOWN, ON CANDLING I NOTICED THAT THE EGGS ARE SLOW DEVELOPING BUT MOVING. WHY ARE THESE EGGS DEVELOPING SLOW. IT IS DAY 25 BUT NOT READY TO LOCKDOWN. THE EGGS ARE THE FIRST EGGS THAT THE GUINEAS LAID. MY GROWN GUINEAS, WERE FROM MY NEIGHBORS GUINEA WHO WAS HIT BY A CAR.
I wonder if the temperature in your incubator is too low. What do you have it set at? I have only incubated guinea eggs a few times, but I noticed a big swing on development and hatching depending on temperature variation.
Here is a good link on incubating guine eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubating-and-hatching-guinea-fowl.67507/

GlenLee, your broken egg was probably just an accident. Guineas aren't the most careful birds and mine jump onto the nest all the time. Hens can also crack them while moving them around. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom