Guinea talk.

@Dmontgomery - you are right on the inconvenience of crawling in to look for eggs. Still sorry Gertrude didn't end up with any keets this time around. Fingers crossed for next year and we'll be awaiting those photos!

Snow here today. Have had to split the birds into two flocks - actually, they did that on their own. I'm only letting 1/2 out to free range at a time because they are getting into trouble chasing each other around and into a busy road. Don't need to create an unsafe situation for drivers here!

Mine laid their first season. Which was the following year after hatch and they were hatched in May or June of last year cannot fully remember, but my female laid eggs like crazy plus some younger ones did the same this year that were last Summer's hatch

My first flock of guineas were early May hatches and they laid and went broody on me around mid-August through beginning of October - 15-20 weeks old. They stopped laying mid-October (in Central New York).

This year's flock were early July hatches and they have not yet laid and won't now until the spring - maybe mid-April, so they will be a little over nine months old.

A lot depends on how early they hatched in the season and the weather and climate where you live. Mine stop laying early October through mid-April here, others have reported their guineas are still laying in November. They are seasonal layers and will have a period of time when they stop laying.

Had a nice experience yesterday with a late feeding. Had guineas, ducks and chickens flying up on James and I. We managed to get a few pictures to show. And no one was placed on us they did it all there own, guess watching the babies they've learned its ok to jump on us.

Here is delta on my shoulder
IMG_20171120_134234.jpg

Blue on James's arm
IMG_20171120_134651.jpg

And Skyline on his arm as well. Sky is one sweet Muscovy hen towards people it took us months to rehab her to like humans but now she is good with us. Even catches treats like a dog.
IMG_20171120_134620.jpg

Back
Top Bottom