Guinea talk.

Pics
Very sorry to hear about Baby. It's a difficult decision to have to make. Unfortunately, culling is a part of what has to be done at times - So sad for you...

If you want to hold him on his way out is there an injection of some sort? I can't think of another way. My neighbor uses CO2 in a tank, but the animal has to be in a plastic bag. I don't know if it's possible to hold the bag and it doesn't sound as though you want to go that route.

https://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/euthanasia.html I found this link from the University of Minnesota on euthanizing research animals. Maybe it will give you other things to think about.

I'll be thinking of you and sending thoughts and prayers your way. Whatever way you decide to go, just don't be alone when you do it. This is a time when it's best to have a friend nearby.

I tried CO for two deformed keets I hatched. It only worked for one. When I went to bury them the next morning one was still alive, which made me sad since they'd been outside all night so not only was it partly suffocated but then spent a night out in very cool temps. The only swift and guaranteed thing I could think to do quickly was beheading with a shovel, which produced a lot of movement in both head and body.

I tried CO for two deformed keets I hatched. It only worked for one. When I went to bury them the next morning one was still alive, which made me sad since they'd been outside all night so not only was it partly suffocated but then spent a night out in very cool temps. The only swift and guaranteed thing I could think to do quickly was beheading with a shovel, which produced a lot of movement in both head and body.

Very unfortunate... Seems like what's considered "humane" for the birds isn't necessarily humane for the humans who have to end their life.

Very unfortunate... Seems like what's considered "humane" for the birds isn't necessarily humane for the humans who have to end their life.

Yes, you are right. I tried to convince myself that the movements after the decapitation were just nerves and not indication of lingering life or pain, but we can't really know that for sure and it always makes me sick to my stomach to think I've ended a life in an excruciating manner. These keys were chirping and animated and were normal in behavior and and appearance except for severely deformed skulls and beaks. They were assisted hatches, which made me rethink my take on assisting since nature would have prevented their hatching, but then again I think perhaps ending their lives as swiftly as possible rather than letting them suffocate in the shell was the best thing to do.

I was outside watering my flowers and I saw a hawk swoop down in the yard not far from where I was. It was about 10 foot or less above the guineas. They never sounded an alarm. My rooster started his alarm but the guineas didn't make a sound. I'm afraid if I hadn't been out there that hawk would have gotten Spiderman or Mary Jane. Their 4 months old and I thought they would by instinct know what a hawk is. Evidently they don't. I couldn't even get the dog to come out he is taking nap in the livingroom enjoying the air conditioning. He usually chases the hawks when he sees them in the yard. I sure hope it doesn't come back.

How is everyone doing today? We are in the high 80s but it's summertime and that is expected. Have a great day.

I was outside watering my flowers and I saw a hawk swoop down in the yard not far from where I was.  It was about 10 foot or less above the guineas.  They never sounded an alarm.  My rooster started his alarm but the guineas didn't make a sound.  I'm afraid if I hadn't been out there that hawk would have gotten Spiderman or Mary Jane.  Their 4 months old and I thought they would by instinct know what a hawk is.  Evidently they don't.  I couldn't even get the dog to come out he is taking nap in the livingroom enjoying the air conditioning.  He usually chases the hawks when he sees them in the yard.  I sure hope it doesn't come back.  

How is everyone doing today?  We are in the high 80s but it's summertime and that is expected.  Have a great day.  
They're instincts and awareness are not always spot on. We shot a fox that was less than 15' from them. They had no clue it was there. And yes, we shot foxes here because on the peninsula we live in they have no natural predators or competition and the population explodes astronomically each spring.

I'm glad that ole hawk didn't get one of your babies. My two older ones are pretty aware of their surroundings which is a good thing cause the younger ones don't have a clue most of the time.

Good save sunH I guess they weren't paying attention that day.

TJ I'm glad you have older ones to watch over the young ones. I only have the 2 guineas and they may have to learn from the rooster. He's really good about spotting a hawk when their in the area.

I was outside watering my flowers and I saw a hawk swoop down in the yard not far from where I was. It was about 10 foot or less above the guineas. They never sounded an alarm. My rooster started his alarm but the guineas didn't make a sound. I'm afraid if I hadn't been out there that hawk would have gotten Spiderman or Mary Jane. Their 4 months old and I thought they would by instinct know what a hawk is. Evidently they don't. I couldn't even get the dog to come out he is taking nap in the livingroom enjoying the air conditioning. He usually chases the hawks when he sees them in the yard. I sure hope it doesn't come back.

How is everyone doing today? We are in the high 80s but it's summertime and that is expected. Have a great day.

Good thing the rooster let you know what was going on. That would have been terrible! I think the guineas get preoccupied with what ever is going on closest to them and then important things slip by - like a hawk and the fox! TJ - good thing your older ones pay attention.

Hot and humid here - half of NY state is officially in a drought now. I'd love to have a good soaking rainy day, but it doesn't look like that's in the forecast anytime soon and I don't think the guineas will be doing any kind of rain dance since they aren't thrilled when it does rain.

Keep cool!

Hey everyone! About 5 weeks ago we got our arrival of our 14 chickens about a week old and we have been doing pretty good with those and last week my hubby comes home with 5 guennas!! Only were a week old so much smaller than the chickens so we penned off an area about 4 x 4 to keep them safe. Now they r about 2 weeks old and. a lot more lively and the chickens r about 6 weeks old. My question is can I put them all together now or should I wait a while u til the 5 guennea get a bit older. We r 1st time owners so we are totally winging this and need some help. The chicken coop is about 15 foot square and we have a 10 x15 covered run attached to the coop that we let the chickens go out during the day. And when can we let them out in the yard? So many questions. I just want them all to be safe and get along. Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom