Guinea talk.

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by boucher814, May 15, 2016.

1. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

I would let them start interacting as soon as possible. My guineas that I've raised with chicks or turkeys are so much better behaved, more part of the flock, and less inclined to chase chickens.

1 person likes this.
  2. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I read so often on here about people's guineas getting hit by cars and consider myself lucky. That lucky streak broke this evening. My poor purple male has a very bloody foot and a bloody hanging wing. The front yard is full of feathers right by the road, so I'm pretty certain it was a car rather than a predator. I tried to examine him a bit after they went in the coop for the night but he's very guarded and I assume in pain. There were no obvious fractures and I don't think it's dislocated because he made it up onto the roost 3' up. I just feel bad for the fella. I think he'll heal fine as long as there's internal damage, but he's surely in a lot of pain. I wish they would be smarter about hanging out by the road.

3. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Oh, very sorry to hear about your purple male! I hope he is hanging in there today. I'm not sure if "lucky" is the right word to use, since he did have injuries, but I do wish him (and you) a speedy recovery, Was his foot crushed? Any signs of internal injuries today? Did you hear it happen or did anyone stop? Good thing he was able to make it up to the roost. They just don't get the car thing and easily ignore the danger to get to places they want to go, scoop up some grit, or munch the bugs along the shoulder. I really do think somewhere in their little brains they think they are invincible, that they possess super powers. Deep breath, sigh of relief and have a good day.

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Yes, I meant I have been lucky so far in regards to car incidents
    and that ended yesterday.

He is walking. I let the other three out as usual but kept him locked up with the chickens a while longer. He was content with that at first but then started perking up and running around. The other three were not making their normal rounds and were hanging out within sight, which made him anxious to join them. I opened up the run to let everyone free range and he ran over to them. So, the foot is not too badly damaged. It was certainly tender and painful to him, though. The wing is in the worst shape. I can't examine it very well because it's hard to do on my own and my husband is away for work. Those appear to be the only areas of damage. I initially thought a predator tried to get him but the wrong makes me think car. I never heard or saw anything.

Last year from August to November we were losing at least a bird a month (to predators). I am getting anxious.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  5. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I hope he gets better soon. They look so pitiful when they limp around. I've read that if you put a radio in the yard and try and find a talk station it helps ward off the predators. I don't know how close they free range around the coop tho. So your really not for sure if it was a car or a predator?

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

I do keep a radio on in the garage, which is between the house and coop. No predator sightings in person on the game cameras in over a month. I primarily have gray foxes here and hawks, and the occasional raccoon. We have eagles around and supposedly coyotes have been brought in to help the fox population.

They wander all over while free ranging, maybe a quarter mile radius. The incident was right in front of the house, though, as there are feathers all over. I'm fairly certain it was a car given the nature of the injuries.

7. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    My lavender male has no sympathy. He is still harassing him like usual, only now the purple is cowering since he can't fly and he can only run too far. I know it's stressful for him in the run away from his mates but I feel like he needs a couple days of r&r. My husband would kill me if I brought him in the house so thinking of putting him in the 8x10 coop that has my keets and chicks in it (all under 3 weeks old) in a wire dog crate. The other pigs (as I call them) will be out of sight. Good idea or no? There's a fine line between minimizing his pain/ allowing recovery and his being freaked out or even injuring himself more because of separation stress. I'm trying to avoid the latter.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Purple Pig didn't come home last night. The others waited and waited and ended up sleeping in a tree. I'm sad that he's gone. I wish he'd at least passed at home.

9. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I'm so sorry you lost him. The others knew he was missing that is sad. [​IMG]

10. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes, my fears were confirmed just a while ago. I let the dog out and he ran across the street into the field, stopping about ten feet in. I walked to see what he was looking at and it was a pile of his feathers. Hopefully he was carried away already dead rather than attacked. I knew he was no match for predators and I regret letting him out, despite how distressed he was.

On the upside, I hatched out 23 new keets yesterday and today, most being new colors to add to my flock. 14 are blue, buff, chocolate, etc, and I wish I could keep them all! That would put me at 21 guineas, though, and their coop isn't big enough for that (6x8), especially once the snow hits. Though, next month makes one year since I have started free ranging guineas and I have lost ten in that time. So, it may seem like a lot now, but I know the number will fall.

I wish they weren't so dang loud, though. It doesn't bother me the majority of the time, but I know the sound carries. At night I think they are saying "Here I am, come eat me!" Why else would you give away your location to every predator within miles?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by