Guinea with broken leg - advice needed on care

mylittlezoo

Poppy Creek Farm
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
GA
I don't know if this should be in the guinea section... if so, sorry! I just figured it would get more attention here.

So I have a juvenile guinea with a broken leg, it's been like this for a couple weeks; my guineas are WILD and pretty much free range - including with my goats, I'm assuming one of them stood on her - and I've only just been able to catch her. I know she'll need splinting - some kind of splint with vetwrap I'm assuming. Any hints or tips? The leg is NOT cold, and she can still kind of move it and weight bear, but it is obviously broken. If you palpate it, you can feel the break.

Also, I'll need to isolate her so I can tend to her and keep an eye on her food /water intake; should I take another guinea with her for company?

How long will this take to heal? Is there anything else I need to do? What are my chances of successfully fixing this poor girl? I'm going to do this in the morning, when I have some light, she's in the coop right now and seems OK. Any help anyone can give before then would be great.

Thank you.... I hate seeing my animals in pain and I just want to help her.

Does anyone have any advice to give? Please? I have caught the bird and got her contained, but I really would like some hints on how best to splint her leg before I just head in there and do it.....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom