Guineafowl Feet Problems

Levo

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
Hey everyone. I recently got a guinea from a hording situation. Her and her sister were neglected, but this Guinea in particular has horrible feet. I often take in rescue birds and treat bumble, or frost bitten toes, but I am at a loss here as when I tried getting out the bumble there was no "sac" like a normal bumble. The picture I drew is no exaggeration of how swollen her mid pads are. I figured a lot of her damaged feet was from frostbite. She is very sore on her feet and I feel terrible for her.

They are quarantined and they are being treated for parasites. And if the question is "Why don't you take her to a vet?" If our vets here treated poultry I 100% would, but I am in an area where there is no good vet for birds, especially poultry.

Here are the images:

Last edited:
Can you not get photos of the bottom of her feet too?

Looks like pododermatitis between the toes.
Without seeing the bottom, hard to know. Is the foot gooey at all? Odd question I know, but if it's not gooey, then I'd apply a thin layer of vaseline to the foot/toes/between the toes. Not on the bottom, just the crusty areas between the toes and feet. Can't see the bottom so don't know.
I'd wrap the foot with the vaseline, leave for 2 days, don't change the wrappings unless they get wet or heavily soiled. See if that starts to soften the foot tissue.

Depending on what the bottom of the foot looks like, she may benefit from soaking in Tricide Neo, this can help with infections.

I'm thinking if you can get the skin softened up a bit, it may help. I really don't know though. If anything, the vaseline may help sooth a little.
I agree, she's suffered from Frostbite.

However you treat her, this is going to take time, so keep working with her.

Can you not get photos of the bottom of her feet too?

Looks like pododermatitis between the toes.
Without seeing the bottom, hard to know. Is the foot gooey at all? Odd question I know, but if it's not gooey, then I'd apply a thin layer of vaseline to the foot/toes/between the toes. Not on the bottom, just the crusty areas between the toes and feet. Can't see the bottom so don't know.
I'd wrap the foot with the vaseline, leave for 2 days, don't change the wrappings unless they get wet or heavily soiled. See if that starts to soften the foot tissue.

Depending on what the bottom of the foot looks like, she may benefit from soaking in Tricide Neo, this can help with infections.

I'm thinking if you can get the skin softened up a bit, it may help. I really don't know though. If anything, the vaseline may help sooth a little.
I agree, she's suffered from Frostbite.

However you treat her, this is going to take time, so keep working with her.
Hey! Thanks for the great response. I'm fine with it taking time and I'll get her bottom feet pics tomorrow :)

She's extremely feral and grabbing even in a small space is hard and I wanted her to relax a bit before bringing her in again.

Her feet are rock hard in most paces. The bottom pad is pretty tough too.

Poor thing.

I'd go slow and see what happens if you soften the tissue a bit. But monitor the tissue each step of the way to make sure it's not breaking down.

I would assume they have become hardened, scared and calloused from the frostbite, getting the feet wet, possibly poor diet...hard to know.

Looks like she's in good hands, I hope she improves.

Back
Top Bottom