guineas and care (missprissy)

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
Woo-hoo I just talked my parents into getting some guinea keets. I talked them into it by saying: you raise them for 5 or so weeks then you can release them and they don't need much care after that. They still weren't happy about the idea but then I said they will eat the ticks. I know guineas can forage for them selves and I told my parents them they could use a small shelter maybe like a 3x4 for 3 guineas and a waterer. The shelter would allow them to free range and would probably not have a front. Would I need to supply them with food or will they eat the bugs and ticks for the winter I would bring them in the garage or something. But I tld my mom they were kind of like wild birds and don't need much care as adults. Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
My guineas free range. They get water from the pond and forage all day eating whatever it is they eat. However, I do throw out a handful of cracked corn everyday just to give them something different and to make sure they stay here and not my neighbors.

We talked about this in PM last night.

At 5 weeks you can't just turn them out. They need to be in a coop and protected for at least 12 - 16 weeks.

If you turn them out at 5 weeks and expect them to live you are very wrong. They will either be eaten by predators or die from exposure.

Back
Top Bottom