Guineas arent laying

Barn Yard Birds

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
I got some keets last september and now they should be getting ready to lay or should have been laying already... I feed them layer crumbles, cracked corn,, and sweet feed.. I really dont know how to tell boys from girls... Someone says him they squack potrack potrack... but they all just sound like noise to me... they squack all night all day.. they have food constantly and have water done know why they wont quite up... But I still havent got one egg yet.. I am afraid i have all boys or all girls.. with my luck.. Anyone have any suggestions on telling boys from girls or what I can feed them to make them lay.. Lee

The girls make a one or two syllable sound, but the boys can only make a one syllable sound, It's really quite easy if you listen. I have only one girl now and 5 males. Are they kept penned or do they free range?

I got some new guineas last Sept also and have 3 females and 2 males. They are not laying yet either so I called the lady I got them from and she said hers are not laying yet this spring. She says they usually start about the first part of April here in Kansas. Maybe it is just too early at your locale too.

Last edited:
I'm in Pennsylvania and my Guineas aren't laying either. I have 13F and 5M. I bought them as keets in July/August of 2011. I also have 3 turkeys with them and they aren't laying either. My chickens have been laying regularly for nearly 3 weeks now.

I will add that mine are penned up. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I've been letting a few out each day for the last few days. I also forgot to mention thata person not far from me has Guineas who started laying two weeks ago. He said that is the earliest he has ever seen them do that. Here in the mid-atlantic it has been dry and in the 70s all week with lows in the 50s at night.

Got my last May and they are 'partly" free range.............when someone is home, to make sure they stay
wink.png
. And they don't lay a single egg till now, and I;m in Pa too

okay.. thank you all for all your comments... I have them penned up.. as far as it being easy to tell which are boys or girls .. they all squak at the same time it is so loud and noisy cant tell who is who..I hope I have 4 girls and 2 boyd.. hope hope hope..lol.....Well we are getting an early spring but we are still having some unusal storms.. a few weeks ago we got tornados again maybe this is making a difference as well.

Thank you for the helpfulness. Lee

I have mine penned up since I lost 9 out of my original 10 within 5 months last year. One was hit by a car. Two I found dead and the other 6 disappeared without a trace. I figure that if I let a few free range and the other ones penned up then maybe they won't stray too far. So far it has been working. They even let me herd them back into the coop or I just grab them and put them back in.

okay.. thank you all for all your comments... I have them penned up.. as far as it being easy to tell which are boys or girls .. they all squak at the same time it is so loud and noisy cant tell who is who..I hope I have 4 girls and 2 boyd.. hope hope hope..lol.....Well we are getting an early spring but we are still having some unusal storms.. a few weeks ago we got tornados again maybe this is making a difference as well.

Thank you for the helpfulness. Lee

I can't let mine out. we are to close to the road.. There is one that runs around the nieghborhood its not mine. It belongs to someone one street over. It comes down and visits mine every now and then.

I want some so bad...I too am close to the road so I would have to keep them stopped up which is ashame since they are so good keeping down the ticks they say.

Back
Top Bottom