Guineas not eating

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Hey guys! I just switched my seven week old guineas to 18% chick starter. For some reason they’ve turned picky and not eating much at all. Water intake has remained about the same. Any insight?

Hey guys! I just switched my seven week old guineas to 18% chick starter. For some reason they’ve turned picky and not eating much at all. Water intake has remained about the same. Any insight?
This is normal. Guineas do not like change. My recommendation is to put them on a turkey or gamebird grower which is normally 24% protein and has the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need.

This is normal. Guineas do not like change. My recommendation is to put them on a turkey or gamebird grower which is normally 24% protein and has the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need.

That’s what I had them on the first 7 weeks. I read somewhere to switch them to 18-22% after first 50# bag was exhausted. I should switch back?

That’s what I had them on the first 7 weeks. I read somewhere to switch them to 18-22% after first 50# bag was exhausted. I should switch back?
They should have been on Turkey or gamebird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks. Turkey or gamebird starter is 28% to 30% protein with even higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin than turkey grower has.

They should have been on Turkey or gamebird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks. Turkey or gamebird starter is 28% to 30% protein with even higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin than turkey grower has.

Sorry I worded that funny! I had them on 28% protein gamebird starter the first 6.5-7 weeks. I switched them over last Friday to 18% protein and I have been noticing they are much more picky on food and not eating as much

Sorry I worded that funny! I had them on 28% protein gamebird starter the first 6.5-7 weeks. I switched them over last Friday to 18% protein and I have been noticing they are much more picky on food and not eating as much
I would switch them to the turkey or gamebird grower at this point. I have not had any issues making that switch since it is much closer to the turkey game bird starter than chick starter is. Even meat bird grower would be better than chick starter.

I would switch them to the turkey or gamebird grower at this point. I have not had any issues making that switch since it is much closer to the turkey game bird starter than chick starter is. Even meat bird grower would be better than chick starter.

This is what I have. Yikes!! What percent protein should I get of turkey/game bird starter?

Attachments

• DAF894C2-FC41-4A58-B2B0-522AB1413927.jpeg
    DAF894C2-FC41-4A58-B2B0-522AB1413927.jpeg
    486 KB · Views: 3
So the same stuff I had? Lol When do I switch them over from the grower? Thanks so much for your help!! I appreciate it
No, grower is the next step up from starter. Turkey starter is 28 to 30% protein but turkey grower is only 24% protein. The next step up from grower is to regular adult food whether it be a layer feed or an all flock feed.

Back
Top Bottom