Gun control and the second amendment....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real tragedy of this debate is that it isn't a debate. Certain people shout down anyone who doesn't agree with their point of view. The opinions of those who want changes that would restrict the ownership of certain weapons are treated with contempt. What of the parents who fear for their children's lives and want greater controls? We hear an awful lot about rights, what about their rights? What about the rights of children to grow up in safety and freedom? Saddest of all are those that make every excuse such as the mental health of the perpetrators of these abominable crimes, and stupidist of all, that the perpetrators are publicity seekers, so somehow the media is to blame.They neatly side step the issue, fewer guns, fewer opportunities for these tragedies occurring. It looks to me that the gun lobby use bully boy tactics to get their own way, and hope in a couple of weeks that everyone will have forgotten. How monumentally arrogant!
Q9 keeps labouring the point that there is more violent crime in UK than in US. We are talking about gun deaths here, but it suits some people to cloud the issue.
I refer you to these websites:
www.nationmaster.com
www.abovetopsecret.com worldwide gun deaths
Wikipedia firearm related deaths.

Tell me the purpose of an assault rifle. No good for indoor shooting for home defense, worthless as a hunting rifle, I know because we have an AR. All it is good for is to play with. They are not trying to ban ALL guns just the assault rifle. There was a ban on them until 2004 and it was let to run out. They want it reinstated. People who want to argue the point about how these guns are so wonderful, try explaining that to those kids parents, or the families in Colorado. As for MY child it is MY decision to what she is exposed to and in MY opinion, arming teachers is not the answer. It is my RIGHT to have an opinion, or do you have an argument for that too? Or are those constitutional rights only good for the ones who are ranting about their rights as gun owners?

Of course it's your right to have an opinion & I for one will always defend that right. I haven't seen anyone suggest that you don't have a right to your opinion, rather I've seen other people exercising that same right. Or, do you feel other people don't have the right to disagree with your opinion?
Apparently, according to your post, it's also your right to own a so-called assault weapon but you would deny that right to other people. Seems like hypocricy at work but I'm sure you can explain it.
I would agree that no one actually needs an assault weapon but I can understand why a collector or target shooter might want one. I don't own any assault rifles, they don't appeal to me
aesthetically and I really enjoy long distance target shooting. Single shot or bolt action rifles are better suited for this. However, I do own any number of other things, not limited to firearms, that I don't need but do want.
I suppose ranting is in the eye of the beholder but IMO you've done as much ranting as anyone. If you'd have people respect your right to express an opinion extend to others that same respect.

The real tragedy of this debate is that it isn't a debate. Certain people shout down anyone who doesn't agree with their point of view. The opinions of those who want changes that would restrict the ownership of certain weapons are treated with contempt. What of the parents who fear for their children's lives and want greater controls? We hear an awful lot about rights, what about their rights? What about the rights of children to grow up in safety and freedom? Saddest of all are those that make every excuse such as the mental health of the perpetrators of these abominable crimes, and stupidist of all, that the perpetrators are publicity seekers, so somehow the media is to blame.They neatly side step the issue, fewer guns, fewer opportunities for these tragedies occurring. It looks to me that the gun lobby use bully boy tactics to get their own way, and hope in a couple of weeks that everyone will have forgotten. How monumentally arrogant!
Q9 keeps labouring the point that there is more violent crime in UK than in US. We are talking about gun deaths here, but it suits some people to cloud the issue.
www.nationmaster.com
Great sites. Interesting that South Africa has 2279 MORE deaths by firearms than the UK.

Wiki on violence in US cities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Last edited:
www.nationmaster.com

Oh, so gun crime is inherently worse than any other form of violent crime? If gun crimes go down, but violent crime goes UP, gun control has failed. It is a very simple concept that you are intentionally not grasping. You are the one clouding the debate. A person mugged at gunpoint, knifepoint, or by a strong man's bare hands has lost the same no matter the tool. A person shot to death, stabbed to death, or strangled is still just as dead. To focus only on gun violence by itself is to completely, totally ignore the larger point. You are more likely to be a VICTIM in the UK than in the US, regardless of the method, and in the UK, you're helpless.

You and those like you are only capable of arguing from emotion. That's what we're seeing in the media, that's what we're seeing here. Myself and those I support argue from facts, history, common sense, and philosophy. The reason YOUR opinions do not win is that they CANNOT win. Lies, deception, tyranny, and irrationality will always lose in the end. Your side had its victory, the ten-year Assault Weapons Ban. It didn't work. It never will work. One of America's few remaining redeeming features is the fact that its people are still incredibly stubborn and individualist. Your kind - the collectivists, the statists, the bleeding-heart liberals and "compassionate" conservatives - will lose in this country.

Your version of caring involves denying me my rights because it might scare someone or because a lone freak may abuse his. Nanny-statism and learned helplessness. My version of caring involves exercising my rights so that, regardless of whether it scares someone, I can protect myself and others. Personal responsibility, taking on evil and defending the defenseless. Who's the better man at that?

www.nationmaster.com
Filtering out all crimes but the one that fits your agenda is trying to cloud the issue not the other way around.

I think if you check the most used weapon in america in violent crimes is the good old baseball bat... We better cancel baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom