Gurgle coo while eating

Kat157

Chirping
Jul 12, 2019
Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I'm very new to all this. I have a chicken that appeared in my coop a couple weeks ago, and I'm trying to determine if I should worry about reintroducing her to my flock. She was missing most of the feathers on her backside and those are beginning to grow back in. The only symptom I'm concerned about is her sneezing. She seems to sneeze from time to time and more so when she eats. Sometimes she sneezes a bit of snot from her nostrils. She makes a gurgle sound and almost a coo sound when she eats. Otherwise she's laying pretty much every day, and her egg quality has improved dramatically since I've had her. She's active, social, and talkative. She's eating and drinking just fine. So thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190719_100102.jpg
    20190719_100102.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I'm very new to all this. I have a chicken that appeared in my coop a couple weeks ago, and I'm trying to determine if I should worry about reintroducing her to my flock. She was missing most of the feathers on her backside and those are beginning to grow back in. The only symptom I'm concerned about is her sneezing. She seems to sneeze from time to time and more so when she eats. Sometimes she sneezes a bit of snot from her nostrils. She makes a gurgle sound and almost a coo sound when she eats. Otherwise she's laying pretty much every day, and her egg quality has improved dramatically since I've had her. She's active, social, and talkative. She's eating and drinking just fine. So thoughts?

Welcome To BYC

She just appeared in your coop one day? So she's been with your existing flock already correct?

The feather loss/damage is likely due to mating and/or being plucked/picked on.

Sneezing when eating, making a gurgling/coo sound when she eats - I would check to make sure her crop is empty first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks. Sounds like one think might be going on is a crop issue.
The snot is concerning. I would look inside the beak for any canker, lesions, etc. is the snot clear or thick?http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Egg quality has improved - can you tell us more about that?

Welcome To BYC

She just appeared in your coop one day? So she's been with your existing flock already correct?

The feather loss/damage is likely due to mating and/or being plucked/picked on.

Sneezing when eating, making a gurgling/coo sound when she eats - I would check to make sure her crop is empty first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks. Sounds like one think might be going on is a crop issue.
The snot is concerning. I would look inside the beak for any canker, lesions, etc. is the snot clear or thick?http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Egg quality has improved - can you tell us more about that?

She was already introduced to my flock unfortunately. Her snot is clear. Her crop seems empty every morning. Her eggs were pale and sad looking at first and has gotten darker and healthier looking over the past 2 weeks. I posted a picture of her first 5 eggs.

Attachments

• 20190711_100111.jpg
    20190711_100111.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 4
Her snot has been thin and clear... and I only hear her gurgle when she's eating. She'll sneeze randomly though. I've read that if she was kept in poor conditions that could have permanently impacted her respiratory system. I read excessive ammonia can do that. I have no idea where she came from but she would have had to fly over two 5' fences to get into my coop, or someone put her there without my permission.

She was already introduced to my flock unfortunately. Her snot is clear. Her crop seems empty every morning. Her eggs were pale and sad looking at first and has gotten darker and healthier looking over the past 2 weeks. I posted a picture of her first 5 eggs.

Her snot has been thin and clear... and I only hear her gurgle when she's eating. She'll sneeze randomly though. I've read that if she was kept in poor conditions that could have permanently impacted her respiratory system. I read excessive ammonia can do that. I have no idea where she came from but she would have had to fly over two 5' fences to get into my coop, or someone put her there without my permission.
The gurgling while eating is interesting. I would still monitor the crop to see if there's any changes.
Could be the sneezing is from ammonia toxicity or it could be from a number of other things too. Your flock has already been exposed to her, so unless she's acting ill, then I would leave her with them.
You could try an antibiotic like Tylan50 to see if that makes any difference in the gurgling/sneezing.

Back
Top Bottom