Gus can't walk!

I was looking through some of my photos on my computer today and found this. It's a video of Lucy the day I got her. It;s hard to believe something that could barely fit in the palm of your hand three months later can barely fit in your lap. I'm shocked at how fast they grow.

Lucy at 3 days old

And Lucy today
Lucy is so pretty, I actually love white. How old is Lucy ? and does Gus like the pool now?

Last edited:
Lucy is about 3 1/2 months old now. And Gus still wont get in the pool
hmm.png
i've only seen him get in maybe twice....I know for a fact he knows how to get in I think he's just scared to.

Lucy is about 3 1/2 months old now. And Gus still wont get in the pool
hmm.png
i've only seen him get in maybe twice....I know for a fact he knows how to get in I think he's just scared to.
wow it is amazing how fast they grow up, and poor Gus hopefully he'll soon find out that the pool is fun.
smile.png

Been giving Goose-Goose lots of niacin. He now has a swollen joint and his legs feel warm. Any advice on what to give him? No vets in our town are comfortable treating him. They don't know anything about water fowl. I'm stuck self-treating.

Been giving Goose-Goose lots of niacin. He now has a swollen joint and his legs feel warm. Any advice on what to give him? No vets in our town are comfortable treating him. They don't know anything about water fowl. I'm stuck self-treating.
How old is Goose-Goose? and could he have an injury? not sure what he can take by mouth other than niacin but you can give him soaks in warm Epsom Salt water a couple times a day for the swelling and inflammation, use a bucket deep enough for him to stand in and cover his legs [don't let him drink the water] ES has a laxative effect. 1cup ES in 1 gallon of water. be prepared to get soaked, when I was soaking my ganders foot I used a 3 gallon bucket and used 3 Cups of ES you will need to use warm water to get the salt to dissolve. Sorry I wish I could help more but just not sure what waterfowl can take by mouth.

Goose-Goose is now 2.5 months old. Was niacin deficient when leg issues started, been loading him up and helping him move his legs around, swimming, et cetera. Not sure what else to do for him, it's been a few weeks since he walked. He now scoots around the yard, uses his wings a lot. Seems totally fine otherwise.

Since there were niacin issues and Goose Goose had to be put on niacin it might have broke the leg or twisted it. You may have to seek veterinarian help for Goose Goose!!! You need to find out what is going on with it.... That is not normal for a goose to have to pull itself around with the wings.....

RURU,
I stated in a prior post that there is no vet help in my area for Goose-Goose, otherwise I wouldn't be posting the question; he would have been treated by a vet by now. I'm well aware it's not normal for Goose-Goose to pull himself around with his wings, that's what he has legs for.
With that being said, I'm doubtful his leg/s are broken. He moves them just fine, he swims with them both, he does what I call the "panic kick" when I first pick him up. He's moving his legs just fine. The joints move just fine. We do daily physical therapy. He's just not walking. As of yesterday is when one joint started swelling. I'm assuming from possible non-walking use or a possible infection that I and another poster talked about previously. Obviously he's spending 95% of his time lying down with the leg bent, which is not good. I'm working the best I know how to help him.
I would just like a knowledgeable person, or someone with an idea of what might help. I understand it's concerning, which is why I'm trying to help him. I haven't thrown him in the yard or in a box and left him. I will be doing Epsom salt a few times today and over the course of the next few days, hoping and praying for the best results.
Thank you very much for your concern, Ruru. I do appreciate the time you took. If you have any ideas of what I might do for him, aside from vet care that isn't available, I would really like to hear it and I'll give it a shot. It is possible it's been "twisted." But it's been too going on too long, based on my personal experience with twisting a joint, I would think it would have healed or been on the mend at least by now. I'm looking for options to help him before we feel his "life happiness" is in jeopardy and decide to put him down. At this point, he isn't a happy camper, and neither would I be. He just wants to walk, and it's painfully clear.

RURU,
I stated in a prior post that there is no vet help in my area for Goose-Goose, otherwise I wouldn't be posting the question; he would have been treated by a vet by now. I'm well aware it's not normal for Goose-Goose to pull himself around with his wings, that's what he has legs for.
With that being said, I'm doubtful his leg/s are broken. He moves them just fine, he swims with them both, he does what I call the "panic kick" when I first pick him up. He's moving his legs just fine. The joints move just fine. We do daily physical therapy. He's just not walking. As of yesterday is when one joint started swelling. I'm assuming from possible non-walking use or a possible infection that I and another poster talked about previously. Obviously he's spending 95% of his time lying down with the leg bent, which is not good. I'm working the best I know how to help him.
I would just like a knowledgeable person, or someone with an idea of what might help. I understand it's concerning, which is why I'm trying to help him. I haven't thrown him in the yard or in a box and left him. I will be doing Epsom salt a few times today and over the course of the next few days, hoping and praying for the best results.
Thank you very much for your concern, Ruru. I do appreciate the time you took. If you have any ideas of what I might do for him, aside from vet care that isn't available, I would really like to hear it and I'll give it a shot. It is possible it's been "twisted." But it's been too going on too long, based on my personal experience with twisting a joint, I would think it would have healed or been on the mend at least by now. I'm looking for options to help him before we feel his "life happiness" is in jeopardy and decide to put him down. At this point, he isn't a happy camper, and neither would I be. He just wants to walk, and it's painfully clear.
Give the Epsom salts at least 2-3 days along with the water therapy and then get back to us. Hopefully you'll see some improvement.. I hope so..

Back
Top Bottom