Thanks Staceyj, Junebuggena, and Bantychooks.

yes I could see guts popping out again with every chirp.

So I took your advice and read that other thread.

I had alcohol spray so I gave the wound a good spray. I pushed the intestine back in and was able to hold the skin closed and put a drop of super glue on it. I was very careful not to get any glue inside the body only on skin.

I did get glue on my hands and even my mouth yuck holding it, but the bird was avoided.

I made a bandaid like the other post said, but with the glue I didn’t have to use it.

I chose glue as the hole was so big that every time the bird cheeped the intestines popped out.

I was afraid that I would puncture the intestines with a needle if I tried to do a stitch and I was afraid the bandaid wouldn’t hold the intestines in with such a big hole and it would mean certain death for chicky babe.

I have put a towel over the incubator so it is dark and there chick will have a good rest now

So fingers crossed, I now wait!

Thank you for all your help guys!
:clap :fl
You did good.

A0C624A9-51FD-4DEA-9464-237877226B1C.jpeg

Looking promising about 3 hours later! Better not be a boy!!!

Thanks guys- chick is still going strong! It’s been 3.5 days since the operation and 4 days since I found it almost lifeless.

I am going to put it out with broody mummy now as she already has three and I don’t want this one or the other late hatcher to be left behind. I feel it’s time to let go and let nature take its course- what will be will be now. It’s eating and drinking well and even though it’s been raining for 3 days they are under cover and I have put heaps of straw in the coup to make sure they can stay dry and not too muddy under Mumma.

I probably should give it another day or two in the incubator but one of my kids is going into day surgery on the day after tomorrow and I won’t be thinking of my chicky babes during that time so I think they have to go out to Mumma. Fingers xd!! (It’s the one with the manky feathers)

Last edited:
So it appears that I should have hand reared this one as it was too early to go out to mumma. Nature took its course and it has gone to chicky heaven. It’s sibling has been adopted by mumma and doing well.

At least gave it a shot, I thought it was going to be ok
You did your best! It may not have survived even if you had kept it inside and brooder raised it. It had some serious stuff going on.

In answer to your earlier question if you were being cruel in not euthanizing it - my opinion is, if the animal isn't needlessly suffering, there is no harm in trying to help it. I have, in the past, tried to rescue some seriously injured or sick birds, only to end up prolonging their suffering. Because of that, I may tend to put them down more quickly than most would to prevent suffering. It can be a fine line. I think you did the right thing in this case.

Back
Top Bottom