Guy thinks he's getting ripped off...(UPDATED!!!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shogun99, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Due to Ordinance laws, I am forced to sell some of my Black Star Pullets and cocks. I currently have 25 and am selling 19 of them for 70 dollars locally. They were born in the first week of August and should begin laying in about a month or two I suppose.

The buyer thinks he's getting ripped off and mentioned it but is still going in on the deal. What do you think? Is the price fair? Am I getting short changed, or is he?

Black Stars are typically heavy birds that are good for eating and egg production. Let me know what u think. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Pullets often go for $8 or more at our local poultry auction.
  3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I don't think he's getting ripped off. I think he's trying to make you feel bad and lower the price. If he mentions it again I would say fine I have other people interested in them.

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:Ditto...At 3.68 a bird I think he's getting a bargain. Doesn't even pay for the feed you had to supply for the last 3 months. Don't fall for his pity trip...If he doesn't like the price, he doesn't have to buy them. It shouldn't be hard selling them to someone else for that price.

ETA: Oops, sorry 2 1/2 months
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  5. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Buying 19 black star pullet chicks from mcmurry hatchery would cost him 42 bucks plus shipping , at least 15 more , plus you've fed them out for over 2 months for him. He's getting a good deal .
  6. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    I think your price is too low but if you have to get rid of them, then so be it. I personally think he is trying to rip you off. Just my 2 cents!
  7. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Thanks for your assistance all...I think the guy is trying to scam me personally, but he knows absolutely NOTHING about chickens, but has a farm on the other side of town with 36 acres and wants to let them free range. They'll have a good life there, so I don't mind personally and I'm going to tell him how to get started with them and include a few of my hatchlings to boot.

Not a bad deal in my opinion...and I KNOW it would cost more for him to go somewhere else to buy. Its frustrating, and I don't want to give up my chikins, but the law is the law and I don't want the police finding my chicken stash!
  8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    If they are dual purpose birds you can hardly buy a whole chicken at the grocery store for under $5 - so yeah, he is getting a bargain and is just trying to get an even 'better' bargain by giving you a guilt trip. Unless you have already told him about including a few hatchlings I wouldn't give him extras. Give him the chickens promised for $70 plus maybe some feed and a written sheet of directions/suggestions etc and let that be that.

I am horribly sorry you have to get rid of your chickens. [​IMG] That is very sad.
  9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    This spring I bought 3 Pullets 8ish weeks of age and paid $10 per bird... Ive sold laying hens up here for $10 a bird.... He should be happy he's paying $70, I'm sure you could of gotten more for them....
  10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I sell my bantam pullets for $10 a piece... if they don't like the price don't buy the birds [​IMG] The standard sized hens i have sold in the past go for $10-15 depending on if they are laying or not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by