Guys and gals... MY NEIGHBOR IS CRAZY!!!! She's the real predator!

Building a run is a good idea, and so is the scrap schedule. But getting her her own pet, be it a bird or a large, friendly fish (parrot cichlid) that she can pet, might be good also.

So, sounds like you live where the yard boundaries are not very clear? A large parcel with various rental units placed as landlord saw fit. Luckily you were grandfathered in with your chickens since the older lady’s place was put there after you and chickens were settled in.

But, now chickens are being fed questionable items (and more than they should from someone who should not be doing so). In addition, the older lady is trying to commune with nature - including both predator and prey- but is doing so in an unexpected/odd way leading many to think she is nuts. Also, it’s annoying and intrusive.

I feel for you. Bad neighbors can be a real issue, and currently it’s just at the annoying stage - I’m pretty sure it could get worse, which you don’t want.

Assuming you are not going to move soon, and assuming you don’t want to invest much (if anything) into an enclosure since it’s not your property, are you willing to enclose your birds if you could get materials for cheap/free? Can you place them elsewhere farther from neighbor lady like other side of home? Before this was an issue was neighbor lady an ok neighbor? How long have you been neighbors? Does she have any family or social life?

I’m not sure I would give her a cat...she might then get a lot of cats causing other issues.

You guys need to stop picking on the old lady!! She is just lonely, which reminds me of a segment I saw about older people and loneliness. A lot of them says they would just go to the grocery store so that they can encounter passing strangers to talk to and that is how they make their day..... talking to random strangers. The lady on the show, it was soo sad, she seems normal and quite intelligent but suffers from loneliness and her tears were falling when she spoke of it. So, please give this old lady a break..... let her know exactly how you feel and what needs to stop, old people sometimes have a hard time getting 'clues'.

You guys need to stop picking on the old lady!! She is just lonely, which reminds me of a segment I saw about older people and loneliness. A lot of them says they would just go to the grocery store so that they can encounter passing strangers to talk to and that is how they make their day..... talking to random strangers. The lady on the show, it was soo sad, she seems normal and quite intelligent but suffers from loneliness and her tears were falling when she spoke of it. So, please give this old lady a break..... let her know exactly how you feel and what needs to stop, old people sometimes have a hard time getting 'clues'.
Shamo darling I just wanna give you a HUG!

Maybe , you should try peacefully reasoning with her. First, you should give your neighbor a power point presentation or a hand typed or written paper on the predators of chickens, the things they CAN and CAN’T eat, and how to identify the predators and shooing them away Not encouraging it. And, if it gets worst maybe you should politely tell her if she isn’t goin to follow your terms, to just not spend time with your chickens.

Last edited:
Does your neighbor like chickens? Maybe letting her holding some hens and explaining to her the process of hawks and killing their prey will dissuade her attraction to hawks and other predators.

Back
Top Bottom