gynandromorph chicken? Looks like a rooster but laid an egg in my lap

delta75

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
I bought 10 hens this spring, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 3 Mottled Java's and 4 Buff Orpingtons. They started laying eggs in July, could not tell who was laying what exactly. Then in August one of the Java's began looking like a rooster, big comb, big waddles, longer tail feathers. :eek:( Then the other Java did the same but his comb was bent over, yet big. THEN the last Java did the same.... So I resigned my self to having a couple roosters. Yet none of them started to crow and with their hen examples they would sit in the nesting boxes. Due to not laying every day I could not tell exactly what was up. All the breeds I chose were suppose to have brown eggs. Yet I was getting dark brown, light brown and white.... Well, to my surprise this morning while down tending the chickens. there was a Maran, a Buff and a Java (rooster) sitting packed in a laying box together. Its hot here so I told him how silly he was and took him out to make it more comfortable for my girls. I held him and stroked his head and comb (which I might add is impressive in size), my daughter was with me to witness what happened next. The rooster I was holding LAID AN EGG IN MY LAP!!!! HUH? We both were speechless. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will of him..her... himmer... what is he? lol

105565_roostehen_001.jpg

I believe that is an ancona, not a mottled java. Anconas are large-combed. If it laid an egg, it is a hen.

ETA: That would also explain the white eggs since anconas are white-egg layers.

Last edited:
Quote:
X2.

My Ancona hens had very large combs, and were prolific white egg layers. Your bird also has white earlobes, so I'm guessing she's also an Ancona, not a Java.

Looks like a hen to me.

Also, regardless if it is a Mottled Java or Ancona, BOTH breeds look very similar when of hatchery origin. I once went to someone's house and asked, "Wow is that an Ancona?" (it had a large comb as one should and the body of an Ancona). Nope, she told me it was a Mottled Java.

Y'all are AWESOME! Thanks for the Ancona link. I bet thats what I have. Especially because I bought three that were suppose to be Java's, all hens and they all now have big combs. The one in the picture has the largest and most upright. The other two have large combs but they curl over. The fellow I bought my girls from specialized in "heirloom" breeds that do well in the Texas heat. He had that part right, we had 84 days of over 100 (with a number of them over 105) and my girls never missed a day. Here is a picture of one of the other big combed girls. Something else that made me think they were roosters is that they are very protective like a rooster will be. Of the group if one of my Aussies come into the pen with me this Ancona breed will fluff up and take a more rooster stance with them. I love my chicken family!!

105565_roostehen_009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom