H.R. 9309.

Yes, that's the one. I've linked the text above.

Its not even in committee yet, and is forecast with less than 2% chance of passage - most of the Ag commitee members are already identified as opposed. I expect it to be refered to committee and die there w/o further action.
Just my opinion, but I don't like it, & find it dumb.

I thought they also ship mature birds? Otherwise how do places ship trios and pol pullets and all that?
Oh, good point. Priority mail express.

Apologies for my error. Yes, then this would stop (potentially) th shipping of live Roosters should they decide to ban all, instead of just those roosters reasonably believed to be for purpose of animal fighting. Which they probably would.

Oh, good point. Priority mail express.

Apologies for my error. Yes, then this would stop (potentially) th shipping of live Roosters should they decide to ban all, instead of just those roosters reasonably believed to be for purpose of animal fighting. Which they probably would.
Ahh, okay. That makes a bit more sense about the concern then.

Do not be distracted by the title and beginning talking points of this bill. Read into the part about who can bring suit against anyone regarding chickens and seizure of personal and private property and who is responsible for the expenses. It is an attack on due process! Politicians write these bills knowing they can put cockfighting at the top and it gets sponsored and bipartisan support. Don’t let them do that. This bill isn’t about cockfighting. Cockfighting is already illegal.

I am more politically active than many of my friends, certainly more politically aware, but I have a finite number of resources (including time) with which to devote to politcal activity.

Of all the things "they" are doing to "take away freedom" (largely with the support and accliam of the electorate), this is one of the very least concerning to me.

This defines "rooster" to mean any male member of Gallus Domesticus species older than 6 months.

It then says the USPS can't ship Roosters (now defined as make chickens over six months of age) for purposes of animal fights.

Regardless of how you feel (personally, OPPOSED) to paying to watch animals fight, USPS doesn't ship any birds other than day olds - so this changes the situation on the ground not at all. The other commercial carriers (DHL, FedEx, UPS) don't carry poultry at all. Again, no functional change. That leaves private instrumentalities of interstate commerce.

If you have a side gig privately transporting roosters for purposes of animal fights across State lines (and I somehow suspect those are not coming from NPIP participating breeders with 9-3 forms and associated records), you are already breaking a number of State laws. Making it a Federal crime as well doesn't really change much.

That's all the time I'm willing to spend on analyzing this bill, unless you have something of substance to add that might warrant more attention by the BYC community? I don't relish the idea of Citizen Suits as qui tam claims, but SCOTUS is about to tear a hole in the qui tam theory itself in a case of far greater significance. I'll not waste time seeking to tilt at a windmill not yet erected when a giant is already knocking windmills of similar design down by ripping out their foundation.
Just remember a prized Cochin rooster is a Gallus Domesticus also.

Do not be distracted by the title and beginning talking points of this bill. Read into the part about who can bring suit against anyone regarding chickens and seizure of personal and private property and who is responsible for the expenses. It is an attack on due process! Politicians write these bills knowing they can put cockfighting at the top and it gets sponsored and bipartisan support. Don’t let them do that. This bill isn’t about cockfighting. Cockfighting is already illegal.
I've read the entire thing when it first appeared.
It's just stupid.

That is all I’m getting at. The gamefowl have a target on there back regardless even the people who actually love and preserve them i by no means condone fighting. But I do enjoy MY property and MY chickens my gamefowl are my happy place and my first true love my birds will eat when I cannot the day I can’t wake up and hear my boys crowing there song or my sweet girls cackling there sweet sound it will be a sad day in my world it’ll be the day my world goes cold. that being said not everybody that owns these beautiful god given birds are bad people there’s a lot of good people that have gamefowl some of the most honest and respectful people I know raise them but everybody jumps the gun as soon as they see anything about cockfighting. This is not just aimed toward gamefowl this is aimed at every poultry breeder and enthusiast. Cockfighting is already illegal in all 50 states and its territories has been for years now. But raising them and preserving them has not. When they tell you you can’t raise a silkie anymore you’ll realize where these bills end up.

Last edited:
I am more politically active than many of my friends, certainly more politically aware, but I have a finite number of resources (including time) with which to devote to politcal activity.

Of all the things "they" are doing to "take away freedom" (largely with the support and accliam of the electorate), this is one of the very least concerning to me.

This defines "rooster" to mean any male member of Gallus Domesticus species older than 6 months.

It then says the USPS can't ship Roosters (now defined as make chickens over six months of age) for purposes of animal fights.

Regardless of how you feel (personally, OPPOSED) to paying to watch animals fight, USPS doesn't ship any birds other than day olds - so this changes the situation on the ground not at all. The other commercial carriers (DHL, FedEx, UPS) don't carry poultry at all. Again, no functional change. That leaves private instrumentalities of interstate commerce.

If you have a side gig privately transporting roosters for purposes of animal fights across State lines (and I somehow suspect those are not coming from NPIP participating breeders with 9-3 forms and associated records), you are already breaking a number of State laws. Making it a Federal crime as well doesn't really change much.

That's all the time I'm willing to spend on analyzing this bill, unless you have something of substance to add that might warrant more attention by the BYC community? I don't relish the idea of Citizen Suits as qui tam claims, but SCOTUS is about to tear a hole in the qui tam theory itself in a case of far greater significance. I'll not waste time seeking to tilt at a windmill not yet erected when a giant is already knocking windmills of similar design down by ripping out their foundation.
Please know what your are taking about before posting and please pay attention to what others are saying… the USPS actually ships grown birds and not just day olds. I just received a 7 month old rooster and a 9 month old hen via USPS.

Back
Top Bottom