Had a friend find me.

theoldchick

The Chicken Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
May 11, 2010
The other day while working on putting gutters up on the horse barn, I noticed this dog come trotting down my gravel driveway. Tail up, ears forward, he checked out the husband's dually, urinated on the tire, and gazed at our set-up. He went for the garage. Not really wanting a stray dog in my garage, I armed myself with a gutter and tried to shoo the fellow away. He laid down on his back and gave me his 'puppy' eyes. In a huff, I ignored him, and went back to help the hubby.

The stray dog watched us work, listened to us argue-the hubby loses all his tools and blames me- and settled down in the shade for a good back scratch in the grass. Then he discovered my dog pen that housed the German Shepherd and made his way over there. My dog is a bit long in the tooth but he perked right up upon seeing this dog. As I held the gutter in place I watched the two interact with the fence between them. The stray dog seemed ecstatic. He urinated on the fence and came back to me. He was well behaved around the horses and cattle. He had a collar on and was in good shape. No ectoparasites on him that I could see. His only problem is he is an intact male and marks everything. He kept visiting my dog's pen as we worked through the afternoon.

So, I left him alone for the night. Ignored him and hoped he would be gone in the morning. Not to be. He was sleeping in front of the bird building but jumped up when my dog barked his greeting to me. The stray held up his right front foot and limped toward me. Great, I thought, now he's wounded. I squat down to examine the newbie's leg. He beat the ground with his tail. He licked my fingers but was compliant to my palpation. He showed no pain so I straightened my legs to take care of the morning chores.

The little bugger jumps up with a perfectly good leg and assisted me during my morning chores. I tried to ignore him but he killed a rat and for some reason kept running back and forth to my dog pen. He'd lick my fingers and engage me with his eyes. I had to pet him. He was a happy dog for sure but remarkably well behaved. When I took my morning walk he followed and stayed right with me. And he kept running to my dog's pen. I opened the gate to go in and he hopped in behind me. I watched the two interact and they seemed happy together. I left him in the pen since I had to bushhog the front 20 and didn't want him chasing the tractor.

I don't know who had this dog but somebody is missing this fella. He looks like a perfect miniature black lab. Does have Boykin spaniel eyes, though. He seems very happy with my dog and obviously is used to a pen. He never asked to come in the house but insists in staying in the pen when I'm not outside.

If I can't find his owners, looks like I have another dog. I plan to neuter him and keep telling him so he'll be warned. All he does is grin when he hikes his leg.

He sounds like a great dog! Good for you for taking him in and giving him care while you look for his owners. And if you don't find them, it sounds like he'll make a wonderful addition to your life.
wink.png
I'd love to see a picture of this fellow if you get a chance.

Sounds like you got yourself a new buddy and he chose your place to live. It's strange how that happens sometimes but likely was meant to be.

I would call a local vet and have him scanned for a microchip...and then decide if he has found a forever home

I'm taking him to work tomorrow to scan, vaccinate and heartworm test. I'll have to wait a bit to neuter him-just to be on the safe side should I find his owners.

Back
Top Bottom