Had several develope but only one hatched.....Boy I just can't get the hang of this!!

ALLBEEF

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 27, 2012
I had 24 chicken eggs in the bator last week and only 8 hatched.....this weekend I had 7 turkey eggs in that only one hatched but the rest fully developed.....what is my problem??

The GQF Thermo is reading steady.....but someone recommended getting a digital thermo....and all of them read something different....I don't know what to do or which one to believe..

HELP PLEASE!!!

if that 50 -51 % is the humidity at which you incubated the eggs during the first 17 days (on DAY 18 they go into lockdown...), then your humidity is/was TOO HIGH.

An egg should lose about 13 % of its original weight by the time you are at day 18. Get a digital scale and get going on the math. THAT IS THE SUREST WAY TO DETERMINE YOUR PROPER HUMIDITY LEVELS. Not be looking at the air cell.

Judging from the chick in the pic, and what i am guessing is your 50 % humidity before day 18.........YOUR HUMIDITY WAS TOO HIGH.

You want it to be more like 40-45 (BUT EVEN THAT CAN BE TOO HIGH IN CERTAIN LOCALES)

Get that RH down!

Why are my chicks lasting until right around lockdown then??? Looks like they would die before then if humidity was too high???
I have had several people tell me that this is what turkey chicks need. (50% during incubation) and 65-70% during hatch.....

i was speaking to your chicken matters, and not to turkeys. No, i do not do turkeys. Sorry......

Perhaps some turkey will jump in here to offer you some good advice.

Last edited:
No , if the humility is to high, they will not absorb the yolk and there will be too much fluid. They would actually die trying to pip.

Are the eggs shipped? There are many things that could cause full term or near full term chicks/poults not to hatch. Malposition is a big one. Chances of malposition increase with using shipped eggs or having ups and downs in temp/humidity.

Are the eggs shipped? There are many things that could cause full term or near full term chicks/poults not to hatch. Malposition is a big one. Chances of malposition increase with using shipped eggs or having ups and downs in temp/humidity.

No....the eggs were not shipped....came from my hen and tom.

looks like your turkeys drowned..
they need low humidity for incubation.. but high for hatch

for turkeys try a dry incubation... temp at 99.5 (forced air) 100.5 to 101.5 for still air (not sure what kind of bator you are using)

then at hatch drop the temperature down to 98.5 (forced air) and raise the humidity as high as you can get it (80% or better)

looks like your turkeys drowned..
they need low humidity for incubation.. but high for hatch

for turkeys try a dry incubation... temp at 99.5 (forced air) 100.5 to 101.5 for still air (not sure what kind of bator you are using)

then at hatch drop the temperature down to 98.5 (forced air) and raise the humidity as high as you can get it (80% or better)

It is a forced air bator.....a GQF 1266....for a dry incubation....what might the humidity be? 10% or less??

Back
Top Bottom